BusinessObjects Board

Document the recent changes made in the universe

Hi,

Is there any macro in place which will list out only the recent changes made to the universe which might be table or join addition/object definition changes/object or class addition etc.

Pls share with me ,If have any idea.

Thanks in Advance.

patneel :india: (BOB member since 2006-11-02)

Hi,

We had a go at doing something like this a while ago now. It wasn’t pretty, and it didn’t capture “everything”, so we could never say for certain that nothing had changed in the universe so we scrapped the idea. The effort to get it working wasn’t deemed to be worth it at the time. However I’ll provide some information here in case you wish to give it a go:

Method 1:
[list][:7c0c3490a1]Print the universe to PDF - list of objects, tables, classes, joins, etc.
[
:7c0c3490a1]Save the PDF to plain text file (this is your delta)
[/list]
Whenever you want to compare your current universe with the delta, repeat the above steps (saving the files with different names to your delta). Then you can either use a freely available “file diff” application to identify the differences, or you can write some code to identify the differences.

From what I can remember though, we had to do some “post-processing” on the text file because sometimes Adobe would put page-breaks in not quite the same place, even though there were no differences between the PDF’s :crazy_face: so we used a Perl script to “tidy up” the text files (strip out page-breaks, page headers and footers, etc.).

Method 2:
Use Dwayne Hoffpauir’s excellent Universe Documenter tool and do the comparison between 2 Excel files.

Again you could either use commercially available products (if there are any?!) or you could write your own - we have a “Testing Framework” written in Java that does exactly that (but for testing reports), but it’s not perfect :wink:

Peter Hughes :uk: (BOB member since 2005-11-21)