BusinessObjects Board

DMB0008 err when concatenating two objects of same data type

Hi,

I have one Object defined in the universe which represents

obj1:
TO_CHAR(tablename.columname,‘dd-mon-yyyy’) [defined by me] [Data type in universe is Character]

and the other is obj2 normal Object representing a column [Character on universe]

In the report when i try to append both of these in a Dimension variable

=obj1&obj2

It gives variables not compatible DMB0008 error .

This is kind of wierd behaviour , because both the objects are dimensions of Character type in the Universe .

Also when i do

=obj1&“sometext”

it works.

Any solution to this ?.

Thx,
KURT.

kurtcobain :india: (BOB member since 2006-04-12)

Do this two objects (obj1 and obj2) come from 2 different dataproviders?

Are these dataproviders linked?

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Yes , they come from two different Data Providers.

tried with both linkin and without linking data providers.

What difference does it make ?

And how do we link so that this error wont come…

Thx , for identifying the problem man…i tried with some other objects from different data providers its not allowing …

What is the solution for this??..

Please have a look at this Reporter’s FAQ to see why and when BO gives you “variables are not compatible” error.

I would go for, creating a dimension object instaed of liking.

Create a local variable(Obj3)=Obj2
Associated with Obj1.

Now try concat,

=&

KhoushikTTT :us: (BOB member since 2005-02-24)

Thank you all ,

[1] Its like this two objects from different dataproviders if you try to concatenate relate them , it would not work unless you link the data providers.It seems like BO does not allow it ,might be because of not knowing of which type the other object from different data provider works.

[2] The above problem got solved when i linked the data providers.

[3] The problem is i need to send two parameters as prompts to some other report, as these two parameters are from different data providers it became difficult to concatenate these two prompts.

The funny thing is if you put a Max(obj2) , it would be able to concatenate but , immediately variable get changed to a measure [In a measure , even it is alink ,it wouldnt show the link name that we provide it will over ride to the measure value i.e Max(obj2) ] .

Any ways thanks to marekchladny who identified the problem…

One more hint:

Regarding the two objects you need to concatenate in some new variable - try to create them as the detail objects and see if that helps.

To create the object as the detail:
Create a new variable, give it a name, choose Detail as the qualification, associate it with the dimension that it is built on, and in the formula tab use something like

=<your dimension>

Now try to concatenate these 2 newly created variables-details.

This i have tried before , it would nt work , it evaluates formula as a whole , so it would find the same problem evn if u concatenate…