BusinessObjects Board

difference in architecture of BOXIR2 and BO6.5

hi please let me know the differences in architecture of BOXIR2 and BO6.5

kalyan_164 (BOB member since 2007-08-24)

This would require a book to explain (and some people have published a book on XI). I would suggest that you start with the Administrators Guide.

blair :canada: (BOB member since 2006-11-17)

or take the “SA310R2 - Administering Servers” training class.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

6.5 is the BO architecture, Xi is the Crystal one. Completly different :wink:

Hi

There are a lot of difference between 6.5 and XI R2. The main difference is the Architecutre. 6.5 is the 3 tier architecture, where as XI R2, its 5 tier architecture. Supervisor of 6.5 replace by CMC in XI R2 and there is no Domain’s in XI R2. these are the few difference.

Regards

Siva.M

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

I was just reading the Architecture differences. And till now I was in the impression that Domains are there in XI R2.

So is it like that domains are not available in XI R2. And if not, then how the 3 domains are maintained on XI R2.

aniketp :uk: (BOB member since 2007-10-05)

In short, domains in 6.5 have been replaced with folders in XI.
The more you compare the two architectures, the more you get confused. Comparison would be valid if the underlying architecture is modified, but here the architecture has been replaced with totally different one. Hope that helps.

zack :us: (BOB member since 2007-08-02)

See [XI 3.0] New features in XI R3.0 (Titan), please.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Replaced is really the key here. Legacy BO was a competitor product to the XI based architecture. When BO bought Crystal, they basically took Crystal Enterprise 10, added a plug in to support Web Intelligence, and renamed it Business Objects Enterprise XI. They added support for Desktop Intelligence (full client) in R2. XI 3.0/3.1 was the first really substantial revision to the underlying Crystal Enterprise architecture since the two companies combined in December of 2003.

Rather than trying to compare the two or translate from one to the other in your mind, it’s easier for most people (and more accurate) to think of it as a completely new and different product.

dcartwright (BOB member since 2008-11-01)