BusinessObjects Board

Difference between User Roles in CMC/BOE

I’m writing an User Guide/SOP for my project to outline our permission levels and the assignment of specific user roles in various environments. Within CMC I only see:

[list]Full Control
Full Control (Owner)
Schedule
View
View On Demand[/list]

I’ve tried looking them up in various SAP CMC BOE sites but cannot seem to find this answer. Can someone provide me with a definition with these roles or helps me identify their purposes in how their set up in the COTS aspect?

Thank You

Jignasu :us: (BOB member since 2016-06-21)

Check out XI 3.0 Security for Mere Mortals.

You can see the explicit list of rights that a particular access level has. Go to CMC -> Access Levels, right click on the one you want, and hit Included Rights.

In a nutshell:
Full Control Can perform all actions applicable to the object
Full Control (Owner) Like Full Control, but only for objects owned by the user
Schedule Like View, but also includes the ability to schedule the object
View Can view the object, but not perform any action that modifies or deletes it; or refresh data.
View On Demand Like Schedule, but also includes the ability to refresh reports interactively.

The above is very general. The actual meaning of an access level depends upon the type of object it’s applied to. For many (if not most) kinds of objects, Schedule and View on Demand are the same as View.

The default access levels are somewhat confusing in that their definition is somewhat self-explanatory for reports, but they make little sense for other types of objects.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Joe. Thank you so much for that clarification. I did go through the Access levels and checked out the SAP BI Guide but didn’t think it was quite explicitly written. I’ve just been trying to combine several definitions and make sure everything is consistent in how I write and present my document. Thanks again ! – Cheers

Jignasu :us: (BOB member since 2016-06-21)