BusinessObjects Board

Designer: @prompt use to Select value that depends...

Hi I have a scenerio where I have to do the Following
I have a Field Office and each field office has a User assigned to it, what I need to do is create a prompt that will prompt me for a field Office Id and once I select a field office Id it should promp me to select a user id but this user id list sould only be for the field office I selected.

How do I do this?? can someone help please

vrajehsp (BOB member since 2005-05-13)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

Do a search for cascad* AND prompt.

BO does not do cascading prompts very well.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Hi
I found a solution that works
did the following

1. Selected the User obj click on properties->click on Edit–>drag the Field Office obj to the condition box–>type a prompt inlist(‘select Field office’)–>save and close
  2. In the Reporter Query Pannel
    when you use the User Id obj in the condition box and type a prompt it will first prompt you for a Field office then a second prompt will list all the users for the field office selected.

I hope this makes sence followed an example provided by chandrk at

thanks

vrajehsp (BOB member since 2005-05-13)

Hi Steve!
Do you have any idea of when/if a solution to this issue will be implemented in WebI? I mean, when you look at the amount of posts at BOB regarding this matter, this seems to be a big problem for many users. You should not have to make a workaround to solve such a trivial problem.

Dick H :sweden: (BOB member since 2004-10-29)

The XI version of BusObj has a much improved implementation of cascading prompts. My understanding though, is that it only applies to business views (a Crystal concept), not universes, in the current release. Anyone heard if this capability will be extended to universes in XI, release 2?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

So – have you submitted an enhancement request to tech support? The company is only going to prioritize such changes to the product if the community keeps giving the company feedback that prompting is deficient.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)