BusinessObjects Board

Designer - List Of Values object

Hello,

I am using BO XI R2 designer, in order to update objects in bulk I load them into an excel spreadsheet. Even when I try to load the list of value names into the spreadsheet it keeps throwing errors - I checked my original universe and there seems to be no problems with any object or LoV. But when trying to access it using VBA (and Application.Interactive = False) it fails every time when I execute the (Set LoV = Obj.ListOfValues
) statement, below is a trimmed version of the code:

Dim Cls As Designer.Class
Dim Obj As Designer.Object
Dim LoV As Designer.ListOfValues

Set Cls = Univ.Classes.FindClass(Rng.Cells(RowNum, 1).Value)
    Set Obj = Cls.Objects(Rng.Cells(RowNum, 9).Value)
    Set LoV = Obj.ListOfValues

I can read the other object properties fine, but I can not seem to access the List of Values.

I found a partial-workaround for this by setting (Application.Interactive = True) and loading the List of Values completely separately to the other object information using a separate sub, but even this produced errors after about the 52 iterations in the loop. So I added some error trapping and “Resume” statement, but most of the LoV names did not seem to load for some reason.

The other problem was trying to write the LoV name when updating the objects. I had the same problems tring to access the ListOfValues even if I try to update the LoV name with Application.Interactive = True after looping through about a few hundred objects it comes with pop-up box in designer saying “No data to fetch” for every subsequent object even when the associated LoV has data.

Is this a known issue; is it only limited to designer XI R2?
Are there any other workarounds for automating the updating of List of Values Names?

Is there a property in the Object Model to see if Designer is busy?, because I think it might be problem with object model class “ListOFValues” where it is doing something and trying to access the class just causes some error.

experimento (BOB member since 2008-12-09)

Known problem. Any time you “touch” the .ListOfValues object, it actually REFRESHES the darn thing! And if there is no data when it refreshes, you’ll get that message too. In this utility … Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK … I finally just gave up and skipped that property altogether.

As far as a property that tells if Designer is busy, no. But there is an Application.DisplayAlerts (or something like that) property in Excel that will suppress those annoying “waiting for response” warnings from popping up. It will still be slow becaues of the above, but give it time and it likely will eventually finish.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Hi,
Please see topic www.forumtopics.com/busobj/viewtopic.php?p=906823

jd.pro :fr: (BOB member since 2010-11-15)