BusinessObjects Board

Description classes and objects in the PDF file truncated

Hi,

We have BO 6.5. I created the PDF file for our universe and the description of classes and objects are truncated. Any idea :?:

Which tables of the repository give me the class_name, subclass_name and objects_name. We have SQL server database :?:

I am working on documenting the universe for the technical team and the end user.

Thanks in advance.

Manon :slight_smile:

Sinou (BOB member since 2005-12-07)

Business Objects provides a universe for the repository. The original is setup for an Oracle d/b but in the BOB downloads
here you can get one that has been modifed for SQL server.
Also there is documentation for the repository:
The Business Objects Repository Reference Guide

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thank you very much Michele :smiley:

What about the class’ and object’s descriptions truncated in the PDF generated by BO (with BO 6.5)? Never get that :?:

On Business objects support I found nothing about that :?:

Thanks

Manon

I think that mine has always truncated the descriptions. I have played with landscaped and reducing the margins but they are still cut off.

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Me too, I worked around still truncated.

Thanks again.

Manon

Hi All,

This is a known issue and is already logged in as Bug.

Unfortunately, there is no hotfix for the issue.

There is a workaround for this…

1. Open the Designer
  2. Open the Concerned Universe
  3. Go to File > Print > Select Adobe PDF from thr drop down list of Printers (need Adobe distiller installed)
  4. Click “Ok”

This will create a PDF file, with all the descriptions intact (not truncated) . The test is not well wrapped but it is less frustrating like that than truncated.

Reason of this issue:
The issue is related to a font used in PDF generation.
There is a difference on a font metric used in between BusinessObjects (Reporter) and Acrobat reader.
BusinessObjects uses a Windows font metric and Acrobat Reader uses an AFM (Adobe Font Metric).
When saving a document as a PDF file, BO Reporter cannot control a cell size, but it will be calculated in Adobe side with AFM that is a different metric than Windows.
As a result, sometimes a string is truncated.

Hope could be useful!

Voila!

Manon

hi

For Getting the Class and Object Description, List of Joins used in the universe, Tables, Objects etc in PDF, Just do the follwoing in the Designer.

Open or Impor the Universe.

GO to Tools–> Options–>Select the Print/PDF Tab and Check for all the Options and give Apply, ok . then save the Universe as PDF. now u can get the Description of Classes and Objects.

Hope it will meet your requirement.

looksmee :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

As an alternative, you may be interested in this utility. The information is dumped to Excel, but could be turned into a PDF file from there.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)