BusinessObjects Board

Deriving Object Name from Database

Has anyone successfully dynamically created an object name from a table column? We are trying to research if this can even be done. Thanks for the input!

BTW, we are on Oracle 9.

maprice :us: (BOB member since 2002-10-23)

So, you want the object name to default to the same name as the column it represents? If you create the objects by dragging and dropping the table from the right hand pane to the left hand pane, that is the default behavior (well, proper case, replace underscore with space, but it’s close).

Or did I not understand your question?

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Here is what we are seeing if we can do…

We have a table that is populated basically by our users, where they can define their data. We want to take a column from that table that lists what the data is (name, date, ssn, etc…) and make that the object name. This data changes quite frequently, so the whole goal is to make this as dynamic as possible so we won’t have to update the universe everytime a change is made. Is this possible?

maprice :us: (BOB member since 2002-10-23)

I don’t think and could not imagine this functionality exists in Designer. Maybe if you’re a VBA wizard you could create/automate something like this…

jobjoris :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-06-30)

Take a look at these two posts in BOB’s Downloads:[list]1. Mass update to object names / descriptions
2. Update universe definition from database table[/list]In a not so shameless plug for the International User Conference, I will be covering topic #1 along with other “universe automation via SDK” topics.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)