BusinessObjects Board

Dependent LOVs… It’s possible????

We have BO 6.5 and we have Client/Server Reports. The users execute its with Infoview.
I have a Report with some prompts and I have 3 “linked” prompts: Country, State and City.
I have
Country
AND
(
State
OR
City
)

Then I need when the users choose a Country and go to the State LOV it shows only the States for the chose Country. The same for the City LOV.

It’s possible???

mg (BOB member since 2004-01-07)

Hi,

it’s called ‘cascading prompts’ and it’s done in Designer.
Read the FAQ in the designer forum.

Regards,

Gerard

highandstoned :netherlands: (BOB member since 2005-08-01)

Moved from Reporter to Designer.

The Designer FAQ entry is: How do I create cascading or nested prompts?.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

No, I’m sorry… I can’t use Nested or Cascading prompts because the users don’t want 1 prompt. They want 3 prompts. I HAVE TO DO 3 PROMPTS!!!

When the user execute a Report he want to see the 3 “linked” prompts: Country, State and City.
Then he want to select any value on Country prompt and then when he go to State or City Prompt he want to obtain only States or City values for the selected Country.

It is possible to do it with Business Objets???

Thanks!!!

mg (BOB member since 2004-01-07)

Ithink when you use BO Cascading prompt it doesn’t reduce no of prompt but infact increases…

Crystal XI do have cascade prompt feature.

refer Link below for example

https://bobj-board.org/t/39077

BOBurao (BOB member since 2005-09-20)

What you are asking for – is what is mentioned in the cascading/nested prompts hyperlink that I gave you above – for BusinessObjects. It doesn’t work ideally in exactly the way I’d like, and it’s worse in WebI – but it’s the best anyone has figured out.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

As far as I know, only with a custom dialog box coded in VBA. That means you can only use it within BusinessObjects, you cannot use the same code in Webi… nor can you use it while viewing a full client (REP) report through Infoview. It’s very limited, and therefore generally not considered to be worth the effort.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Hi,

if you create cascading prompts. you get three prompts but they’re displayed one after filling in the other.
if you want those three prompts displayed all at once, there’s no standard functionality in BO.
For FC you’ll need VBA like Dave mentioned, for webi you could write your own prompt page which could handle this, but I seriously doubt if it’s worth the effort.
So if you have BO, I would tell your users it’s cascading prompts or no prompts… :lol: …you’ll need to work with what you’ve got…

Regards,

Gerard

highandstoned :netherlands: (BOB member since 2005-08-01)