BusinessObjects Board

Delete and copy paste errors

I am working with a single universe that has multiple object clusters for unrelated areas. For example, one cluster is for transaction objects, another is for scheduling-related objects, another for inventory, etc.

My goal is to get a list of all tables used in the transaction cluster with the PDF export feature but I am having trouble with two different methods of doing this (both of which attempt to create a universe made up of the transaction subset only).

1. Make a copy of the original universe and delete all of the non-transaction clusters.
    Problem: most of the tables in transaction are deleted as well - those tables that are also used in the other clusters (separate instances of the same table).

2. Create a new, empty universe. Go back to the original and select, copy and paste the transaction-related tables into a new universe.
    Problem: only a small number of the tables/joins are brought over. In fact, it is the same small set of tables that remained when using the delete method in #1. In other words, only the tables that are used exclusively in transaction are copied over.

Anyone know what is going on here? Or have a more effective way of generating a list of tables used in a universe subset?

Universe Designer 12.3.6.1006

drexeljoe (BOB member since 2012-05-31)

Have you looked at BOB’s downloads at some of the utilities to document universes? Here’s a couple links:

ajunell :us: (BOB member since 2004-05-03)

Those tools worked out great and met my original goal. Thanks for sharing.

In case anyone stumbles onto this thread with a similiar… the behavior I was seeing was due to the universe using a large number of aliases. When I deleted the original tables, the aliases also got removed. Likewise, attempting to copy/paste into a new universe would only bring over explicit tables, not the alises.

drexeljoe (BOB member since 2012-05-31)