BusinessObjects Board

Default value for a prompt & @Select / @Prompt

Dear all,

I’ve about three questions I would like to have an answer on :smiley:

1) Default value for a prompt
Is it possible to have a default value for a prompt, no matter what the type of prompt it is (textfield, listbox, …)? I don’t mean with this question if we can have for a prompt values. I know we can have something like : (@Select(Sales Geography\Country) IN @Prompt(‘Select Country or
enter * for all countries’,‘a’,‘Sales Geography\Country’,multi,free) ) where ‘Sales Geography\Country’ is the object that will give the possibilty to give to choose a value of a list. I mean if the prompt pop-ups, that for instance is a prompt called language, this prompt will have already the value ‘FR’. ‘FR’ selected from a list defined in an object or hardcoded {‘FR’,‘EN’,’…

2) Combination of @select / @prompt in join?
Is it possible to have an object in the universe that has for instance the code : upper(@Prompt(‘Language :’,‘A’,{‘EN’,‘FR’},MONO,FREE)) and that we do a join on a table like Object.LANGUAGE(+)=@Select(Language\Language_Prompt)? Language\Language_Prompt is the object containing the @prompt. It seems to me that in a report the @Select is not converted to the @Prompt code. Is there an alternative?

3) Possibility of leaving prompts blank?
Can we implement in the code it like this that if we leave a parameter (@prompt) blank that BO understands this as taking all possible values for this prompt?

If there is something no clear to you, please ask. Thank you very much for the response!
Kind Regards,
Bart

BlackStrike (BOB member since 2004-09-14)

The topic of optional and default prompts is probably one of the most popular topics here on BOB. I suggest a search for those terms, and suggest that you take a look at the Designer FAQ as well. The answers will also differ depending on whether you are using Reporter or Webi.

With Reporter, it is not possible to leave a prompt blank, and there is no generic method for defaulting a prompt. Again, your search will turn up many workarounds however.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thank you very much for the reply.

But my question is different and a sufficient answer I couldn’t find in the FAQs. I don’t want to fill my prompt with a list of values but I want that in the textfield of the prompt (in WEBI when executing the report) there is a default value in the field. The user doesn’t needs to fill in this parameter, only modify if necessary. That I could not find anywhere here.

Then there is still the second question that is still open.

Thanks.

BlackStrike (BOB member since 2004-09-14)

It seems to me that wan you make a query on rep file filling prompt, and saving it, the next time you open it, the last values you entered in prompt are saved (if your query has returned data) and you has just to validate. You can remove it purging the correspondant DP.

bernard timbal :fr: (BOB member since 2003-05-26)