BusinessObjects Board

Customizing list of values in adhoc environment

Hi ,

This looks like a simple question , but couldnt get solution for this , so i’m here for you help.

The issue here is i have a dimension called employee ID , which has say 100000 rows. Now my user want to see the details of 1000 employees prettymuch every day. This list of 1000 employees vary every day . we know that it is really tough to select 1000 ids from 100000 rows as they are not selected in particular order.

Say they have this list of 1000 ids in an excell sheet. now when ever they wan to run such report, is there a way to make this list as the list of values for that dimension.

more likely i want to accomidate users to customize the list of values in adhoc environment.

please let me know if im not clear enough.
thanks in advance,

kingbutnothing :india: (BOB member since 2007-01-12)

Are your users using full client or webi?

There is a solution that will work for full client, but not webi. The user would have to be granted the right to edit the list of values, which you do in Designer. Then the user has to open the list of values screen in Desk / Busobj.exe and then switch the source from “Enterprise” to “local” or something like that. Maybe the term is “personal” instead. Once they do that, they can point to an Excel or text file as the source of the LOV.

1000 values is right on the edge of what you can select from an LOV though…

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Unfortunately they want to do it WEBI :cry:

There is no mechanism to let a user customize lists of values in webi since you’re in a shared environment.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Thanks Dave ,

You gave me atleast a work around for this. As its my super users whos going to do this. i will try asking them if they want to do it in deskI for this particular report.

There is another option discussed here. It’s an Excel macro that formats a semi-colon delimited string and copies it to the clipboard. It can then be pasted into the prompt box, and works with both DeskI and WebI.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thankyou , this helped a lot.

But i’m concerned like what impact does it do on the performance. when im running 1000 values on millions of rows. does it effect the server.