BusinessObjects Board

Customized Object Formats/LOV's Lost

Hi BOB,

I know this is a long senario to explain… .here it goes…

We are currently using BO 5.1.3 with Oracle 9.0.2. A few weeks back we had a some requirements from the business and a production release was done for the same. We have 2 domains (One for Development and One for Production) each for Universe, Document and one security.

Actually, the process is such that, we (development team) perform the development activities(universe changes, report development etc) and export the universe to the development domain. Another team imports the universe from the development domain , verifies it and then exports it to the production domain.

During the development phase , lot of customized LOV’s and customized object formats (specially for Date and Measure Objects) were specified and the universe was exported to the development. The development was throughly tested (including UAT) and signed off. But when the team responsible for moving the development universe to production imported the universe from development domain all the LOV’s were lost.

So, the development (we) team decided to send the universe as an email attachment to the production team, in this universe the production team observed that the customized LOV’s were retained but the cutomized object formats were corrupted, i.e. date objects set with format DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM:SS had become “/-MM/-YYYY#HH#mm#ss” and measure set with format “0” had become “,”.

All was well in development when it was cross checked again. Also, the entire process of migration of universe from development to production domain was tested but still the same result.

Can anyone provide an explanation as to why this problem is occuring? has anyone faced this kind of problem? Can this be due to some settings disparity between the systems in which the unvierse is imported?

Thanks for your help in Advance

BharathBoUSer (BOB member since 2005-09-02)

Couple of this I would like to bring to your notice:

1. Basically BO 5.1.3 having lot of bugs – try to upgrade
Actually, the process is such that, we (development team) perform the development activities(universe changes, report development etc) and export the universe to the development domain. 
  1. When your Development team exporting universe to development domain with customised lov’s have they checked Export with Universe option under objects properties.

2. How far these two teams – geographically.

murali :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Thanks Murali,

Yes, we are planning for an upgrade to BO 6.5 , the talks are on.

Yes, the “Export with Universe” option is checked . the development team has verified that before exporting and also in the mock up process.

The development team is in India and the production team in UK.

A week ago we tested the process of importing the development universe, after deleting the LOV’s folders in the local machine. We observed that the LOV’s were restored. But when we import from production domain again after deleting the corresponding LOV folder in the local system, the LOV’s are lost. i.e. the lov files are not regenerated in the LOV production folder in local machine after import.

Due to the above issue we had to send the universe through email and this causes the object format to go haywire.

We are puzzled by the fact that the import works fine when done from development and fails when done from production.

Any suggestion would be very helpful.

Hi Bharath,

We have 2 domains (One for Development and One for Production) each for Universe, Document and one security. 

Could explain you repository structure once again, is it single repository and multiple domains i.e. one security domain with two universe domains one for development one for production.
Or two different security domains.

Yes Murali, You are correct.

We have one repository (one Bomain.key) which has 2 Universe domains (One for development and one for production) and 2 Document domain(One for development and one for production).

Hi Bharath,
Ok! You have to check if there is any structural difference between UserDocs folders of Development machine (INDIA) and Production machine (in UK).
For example if you customise lov’s of efashion universe in development domain, list of loves will be created in this path: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects 5.0\UserDocs\efashion is this is same on production site? If not what is the difference?
As a test you can copy lov’s from the test machine working on Development domain (INDIA) to Test machine working on Production domain (UK) refresh the universe lov’s will be automatically recognised – try this and let me know the response.

I’ve seen this happen several times and its usually due to:

1. the development side not saving the universe correctly to be transferred
  2. the production side not going through all the steps to get the universe loaded properly

The LOVs are very sensitive to the procedure not being followed it seems. If this happens again, I’d simply try to restart the whole delivery process.

Namlemez :djibouti: (BOB member since 2005-03-14)

Thanks for ths inputs Murali and Namlemez,

Can you jot out the steps that we would need to take in future, for both the development team and the production team while migrating the universe from development to production, to ensure this LOV and Object format issues does not happen.

Really appreciate the help extended.

See the FAQ entry here https://bobj-board.org/t/15227/12

Namlemez :djibouti: (BOB member since 2005-03-14)