BusinessObjects Board

Custom LOV fails on user's PC

I have been experiencing some problems implementing Custom LOVs for the first time. The LOV works fine on my PC and my colleague’s, but not on the PC of our friendly user tester. Can anyone help?

WHAT I DID:

• created a custom LOV (the object is a code, and the custom LOV displays both the code and the decode, so the users know what they are selecting)
  • checked ‘Export with Universe’
  • exported the universe

WHAT THE USER DID:

• created a new report
  • dragged the object to the conditions panel
  • double-clicked ‘In List’
  • double-clicked ‘Show list of values’
  • the normal ‘List of Values’ window did not appear (at all) and the user was returned to the Query Panel (no error message displayed)

WHAT I TRIED:

• tested it both my PC and on a colleague’s PC (AOK)
  • tried my userid on his PC (failed)
  • tested it on all three PCs using my own login, and the user’s login. The LOV failed in all cases on the user’s PC, and was Ok in all cases on my PC and my colleague’s.
  • tried different settings of ‘Allow user to edit list of values’ (as recommended in various postings) - no difference
  • deleted all the LOV files from the user’s PC, and refreshed the universe
  • confirmed that all the LOV files I saved with the universe had been downloaded to the user’s PC
  • tried with other objects (about 20!) - none of them work on the user’s PC
  • tried a custom LOV WITHOUT changing the selection method (i.e. just saving the list of values, without having a different piece of SQL to generate them). This SEEMED to work, but when I added some custom SQL, it failed again. As we ran out of time, I was unable to double-check this.
  • tried Tools/Universes/List of Values… - the ‘Edit’ button failed to display the query panel with the LOV definition (suspicious!), the ‘Display’ button failed to show the LOV window, the ‘Refresh’ button didn’t refresh
  • checked the connections - all three have the same connection definition to the same universe and document domains (I’ve seen various references to LOVs being stored in document domains - is there a way I can ‘look’ in the document domain to find the LOVs?)
  • pulled hair out! :reallymad:
  • consulted BoB - lots of pointers, but couldn’t find anything
  • read the manual (there’s a novelty)!
  • drafted this posting

ENVIRONMENT:

• BO VERSION: 5.16 full client (all machines)
  • USERS: My colleague and I both normally have general supervisor priviledges, but we tried with the user’s userid on both our machines, and could not reproduce the problem
  • MACHINES: All similar IBM laptops
  • MACHINE ENVIRONMENT: All our users have tied-down desktops, so they cannot (for instance) install their own software etc. This can sometimes mean limitations on what files can be created and where. My colleage & I have unrestricted desktops, and both have administrator privilidges on our PCs. Could this be significant?
  • BOMAIN.KEY: I have seen a posting from Dave Rathbun Custom LOV Disappeared indicating there may be problems in using anything except BOMAIN.KEY. All our users (including my colleage and myself) use OHMAIN.KEY. Unfortunately, changing this is not a viable option.
  • DATABASE: DB2 v6. This is officially not supported by BusinessObjects, but is Ok most of the time. We once had a problem with document domains (which we do not usually use). Could this be it?

Tony Payne :uk: (BOB member since 2003-11-21)

If you copy the lov files from your PC rather than retrieving them with the universe do they work? If so I would say it sounds like you have a problem with your document domain.

I believe we have come across this before, I think it was something odd like 0KB lov files, but I’m not 100% sure, it was some time ago.

Have you tried a scan and repair on your document domain? - Take a backup of your repos if you have never down this before!

Beck

beckster :uk: (BOB member since 2003-02-18)

In our personal case, we created a special domain only for the Lov value.
It reduced our problems (not exactly yours …)
Advice here : https://bobj-board.org/t/29472

patrice :fr: (BOB member since 2004-11-03)

Did you by chance ever check off the “Allow users to edit this list of values”? Because it may be that the particular user has his/her LOV pointing to something other than the universe LOV.

When you do that, a user can:

Tools->Universes

Select a universe and an object and can change the LOV to point to a personal data file. So, that user could be using a spreadsheet or text file as his/her LOV.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Folks

Thanks for all your replies. BoB users save the day! :smiley:

beckster:

YES! That’s brilliant! Seems to confirm it is document domain corruption. Not sure why my colleague does not have the same problem, but we have just established we are using a different version of the Neon Shadow ODBC driver to the users (we are on 3.06, users on 3.08 ), and Neon has previously been highlighted as an area of concern in the lack-of-support-for-DB2v6 issue, so this warrants further investigation.

patrice:

That sounds a good idea. Will have a go at that when I have sufficient spare time to spend on this project (i.e. in a couple of weeks or so).

Anita:

Yes I did, but this user was previously unaware that he could change his LOVs, and I’ve seen his setup, so I can be sure he had not changed them.

Tony Payne :uk: (BOB member since 2003-11-21)