BusinessObjects Board

Custom Data Access Configuration

I am attempting to create a set of configuration files to use the a different driver for Hive connectivity than the one provided by SAP. I know I can use the Generic ODBC connectivity for this but we have other drivers that we want to use as well and there is a good chance there will be parameter differences that will cause them to be in conflict if they share the Generic ODBC connectivity.

The Data Access Driver Development Guide mentions four configuration files that are needed for the driver:[list]PRM configuration files
COD configuration files
SBO configuration files
RSS configuration files[/list]The Data Access Guide does a fair job of explaining the PRM and SBO files but I can’t find any documentation on the COD or RSS files.

Does anyone know of any documentation for these files?

So after several days of head banging :hb:, I gave up on creating custom files and decided to just copy and modify existing files as needed.

In my case I wanted separate configuration files to use Hortonworks Hive ODBC drivers. We are currently using the Generic ODBC 3 middleware that comes with Business Objects but I wanted to create a separate entry as there may be other database types that we may need to sue the Generic ODBC connectivity for. For my purposes, I copied the configuration files for the Generic ODBC middleware and made necessary modifications to have a new entry in the middleware option.

I made the following configuration changes:

connectionServer\setup\odbc.32.setup copied and renamed hive.32.setup. Changed:

<DataFileName>odbc</DataFileName>

To:

<DataFileName>hive</DataFileName>

connectionServer\setup\odbc.setup copied and renamed hive.setup, Changed:

<DataFileName>odbc</DataFileName>

To:

<DataFileName>hive</DataFileName>

connectionServer\odbc\odbc.prm copied and renamed hive.prm.
No changes made to this file.
connectionServer\odbc\extensions\qt\odbc.prm copied and renamed hive.prm.
No changes made to this file.
connectionServer\odbc\odbc.sbo copied and renamed hive.sbo. Changed:

<Parameter Name="SQL External File">odbc</Parameter>

To:

<Parameter Name="SQL External File">hive</Parameter>

Changed:

<Parameter Name="SQL Parameter File">odbc</Parameter>

To:

<Parameter Name="SQL Parameter File">hive</Parameter>

Changed:

<DataBase Active="Yes" Name="Generic ODBC3 datasource">

To:

<DataBase Active="Yes" Name="Hive ODBC3 datasource">

Removed the following section completely:

<DataBase Active="Yes" Name="Generic ODBC datasource">
    <Libraries>
        <Library Platform="MSWindows">dbd_wodbc</Library>
        <Library Platform="MSWindows">dbd_odbc</Library>
        <Library Platform="Unix">dbd_wddodbc</Library>
        <Library Platform="Unix">dbd_ddodbc</Library>
        <!--  To use unixODBC for 'Generic ODBC datasource' comment out previous 2 lines and uncomment one of the two next ones -->
        <!--  &amp;quot;CharSet Table&amp;quot; parameter must also be commented out when unixODBC is used -->
        <!-- Library Platform=&amp;quot;Unix&amp;quot;&amp;gt;dbd_wuxodbc&amp;lt;/Library -->
        <!-- Library Platform=&amp;quot;Unix&amp;quot;&amp;gt;dbd_uxodbc&amp;lt;/Library -->
    </Libraries>
    <Parameter Name="CharSet Table" Platform="Unix">datadirect</Parameter>
</DataBase>

This tested very well. I have to deploy it to our environments that are available to the users to have them test but it looks very promising.

I had hoped to be able to modify the configuration files to actually use the Hortonworks Hive middleware instead of the generic ones, but it was just too hard to find the appropriate documentation to get that done.