BusinessObjects Board

Crystal reports certification

Can somebody give me examples or practixe questions, websites for crystal reports rdcr301 paper?

sudhasatya (BOB member since 2006-01-26)

I would strongly recommend picking up Annette Harper’s All-In-One Guide for the CRCP exams. Even though it was originally written for CR 10, most everything carries over well for the XI exams. Know all the content with the exception of the 3 elective chapters.

Also, check out the exam competencies at: http://businessobjects.com/pdf/services/training/crcp_exam_guide.pdf

Others have also recommended the sample exams at http://www.examhints.com, but I haven’t purchased those…

crystal01 :us: (BOB member since 2006-08-30)

In addition, the Harper book contains a CD with many sample exam questions.

crystal01 :us: (BOB member since 2006-08-30)

I want to do both 201 and 301 certification. I have gone through a crystal report guide. But I am not sure of the type of questions being asked in these exams…What kind of questions do they ask? is it difficult to clear the exam?

I have 1 year of exp working on Crystal reports, though i didnt develop new reports as I am on a maintenance project; but still have sound knowledge.

Thanks

doordarshi (BOB member since 2007-01-10)

I have passed both certification exams, and I found that the main problem (as with all certifications, I suppose) is that they require you to memorize a lot of the text from the course material the exams are based upon.

The exams are multiple choice, and some of the answers provided are typically variations of sentences/paragraphs found in the course material - which can be confusing if your hands-on experience with Crystal is limited.

CarolineC :norway: (BOB member since 2006-11-16)

Thanks for the reply
Some more questions:
Are all the questions of the multiple choice question format, where we will get it as wrong if we fail to mark all the correct choices OR are some questions of mutlipe choice type and some normal one choice type?

Secondly, wat are the exam materials that you are referring to? We will need to buy that right? Do we have some dumps avaiable or some sample test questions available?
I am not sure how close the answer choices are…you said it can get very confusing…can you pls give me an wxample if you remember?

Thanks a lot!!!

The questions are all multiple choice, and in some cases you will get a wrong answer if you fail to mark all the correct alternatives. Sometimes the answers will include an “all of the above”-option as well. Terribly annoying :? (Edit: To clarify; some questions are multiple choice with more than one correct answer, and others are “normal” multiple choice with only one correct answer.)

Typically a question will ask you to name, say, a built-in Crystal function which enables you to do a specific task. The possible answers may include several existing Crystal functions, out of which only one is correct in the case specified.

The course material is provided by Business Objects, I think it costs the same as the course fee (as it is an integral part of the course). Someone correct me if I am wrong :slight_smile:

Do you mean to say that when we register for the test, we would get the course material for free along with it? I was planning to test on my working exp on Crystal Reprots. If they are providing material in the cost of test registrationf ee, I can study from that and then take the test.

secondly, how much time do they take to dispatch the course material? I stay in mUmbai, India

Pls confirm.

@CarolineC, you were a great help!

Thanks

The exam and the course are two separate issues. You can register for the exam without attending the course, just like you may attend the course without taking the exam afterwards. The course material comes with the course, not the test.

Note that you can take web-based versions of the Crystal courses as well; and I am note sure how BO deals with handing out books in this case. I suggest you contact Business Objects and ask the how to obtain them - I got mine through my employers, so I don’t really know what the procedure is.

Again: You don’t really need the course material, but the exams are based upon it.

Good luck :slight_smile:

I don’t think that CERTIFICATIONS are needed in our field. I’ve worked with so-called “Certified” Crystal people that don’t know anything about the real world scenarios.

My advise would be to put more HANDS ON time using NOT only Crystal but WEBI (which appears to be the way more companies are moving)

As you are all aware…Crystal is a VERY powerful reporting tool, but I’ve heard and seen signs that more of the higher end paying jobs are related to Web Intelligence tool of Business Objects.

I would recommend engulfing yourself in hands-on reporting development and also becoming a part of not just one forum but a few. (www.experts-exchange.com)

Certifications are NOT needed in order to make the higher end salaries.

MikeV

CRXIuser2005 :us: (BOB member since 2006-12-04)

hi, this is krishnam just 1 &1/2 month old in crystal reports, but very eager to do its certification, atleast the first stage in it, can u plz suggest me how to go abt for doing certffication, where can i find the material for it.
Thanks,
Krishnam

krishnam raju yeluri (BOB member since 2008-08-04)

Hi, we have a long-running topic with questions about preparing for various certification exams here:

Bob (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I agree with MikeV.

Ive worked with some people whove managed to get through CRCP or ACE by studying previous questions but don`t know some of the simplist parts of the product, never mind some of the tricks that experts can do.

I think somehow, some people think getting a qualification in a tool makes you an expert. It doesn`t, years of experience does…

ABILtd :uk: (BOB member since 2006-02-08)

Absolutely agreed. However, if a customer has to choose between two consultants with roughly the same amount of experience, he might be more inclined towards choosing the one with the certification papers. It’s nice to have that extra edge :slight_smile:

Heres a simple question that would allow you to check someone who was book learned against a guru.

Just get them to explain the Crystal 3 Pass system and the object evaluation sequence.

Quite a good idea, actually :slight_smile:

Most of it is undocumented and so gets researched when you are getting deep into the software.

I used to teach it to my reps in Crystal EMEA Tech Support - very good Crystal knowledge to have and answers many questions about why Crystal can`t achieve certain things. (Sums on Sums etc etc).

I’ve worked with CR for about eight years and I am studying for the exams right now. I just see it a challenge, as well as an acknowledgment of my own skills. That is not to say that there aren’t any professionals without the certificate out there that haven’t got the same or better skill than I have, nor does it imply that someone who has passed the exams (possibly with the aid of dumps or what have you not) really know what they’re talking about.

wahey :netherlands: (BOB member since 2007-05-31)

I`ll let you into a secret.

I wrote some of the original CRCP and ACE (Accredited Crystal Engineer) questions. I think some of them are still in there…

:slight_smile: