BusinessObjects Board

creating documents for universe

I don’t know its possible in business objects…Is it possible to create a documents which is like a meta data for the universe and put it the BO server.This will help the users to pull the right object when they create their own reports.Any help will be appreciated…
Thanks…

BOWorker (BOB member since 2007-11-17)

Not sure exactly what you have in mind, but something like this may help … Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Thanks for the reply.
I am not familiar with SDK utilities. Could you please explain to me how to use this function. I am using BO XIR2 . I think this is something I am looking for to start with now. I do have different universe out there ,this way I can keep separate docs for each universe in the repository for users to look up.I assuming in the worksheet I can define my own description for objects…
Thanks,

BOWorker (BOB member since 2007-11-17)

– Download the utility.
– Open the Excel file, you will see a button ‘Document a Universe’
– When you click the button, It will open a window to logon to Designer and open the universe… which you want to document.
– It will take few seconds to document the complete universe.

BO_Chief :us: (BOB member since 2004-06-06)

It’s good practice to ensure the descriptions for objects and classes in your universes are completed with clear definitions, in terms the end users can understand.

Applying this good practice should go a long way to helping your users get the most from the universe.

cmashworth :uk: (BOB member since 2007-04-04)

Agreed, but it is sad how many places I have worked where there is no attempt to fill in the “Help” text for objects :nonod: .

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)