BusinessObjects Board

Creating a distributed report powered by file in Universe.

Good morning everyone,

I have been tasked to create a report that will be driven by a name table. The issue is they want the report to run once for each person in the table and produce a seperate report for each containing only that persons data. This is to be fully automated so I have to read from the name table then run the report for that person save it and go to the next. Does any one have some ideas on how I can accomplish this. One idea I have is to create a report that populates the Broad Cast Manager and let produce each report and place it where it needs to be. Is this at all possible? If so any pointers on how to do it or where to get this info.

Thanks and have a FANTASTIC :smiley: day, Karl

Karl :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-30)

Just a sketch:
Set up some kind of row security (BO Supervisor or via BO Designer) for each user. Then schedule the BO document via BCA (send it to your group of users) and select BCA option “Refresh with each recipients profile”.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Only a couple of several hundred people have Business Objects. That requires others to get hard copies via email or autofax. So I am hoping that someone has found someway to autopopulate Broad Cast Manager or used some other scheme to accomplish what I need.

Thanks, Karl

Either you can use BCA publisher to e-mail BO documents to end users or you can write a VBA macro to e-mail BO documents (see code section in BOB - “send e-mail via BCA”), or you can save your refreshed BO documents as PDF files to a file server or web server (via BCA) and point users to it.

Any ideas on how to autostart a report that only has data specific to a user, for each user pulling the user names from a file in the universe. This is really the sticking point I have.

Thanks, Karl

Are you looking for some kind of trigger?
When data changes relevant to user A then user A should receive a BO document?

Yes :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just a sketch:
Option 1) Schedule the document hourly (or every 20 minutes etc. whatver time window you need) and have your DB create a watcher file, whenever data relevant for user A has changed. Schedule your BCA job to look for this watcher file.

Option 2) I believe Business Objects Application Foundation might provide this kind of Alert function

Option 3) When you schedule a BO document under BCA, tab, Actions, choose “Condition to be evaluated…”

Thanks, I will check it out.