BusinessObjects Board

Create Universe using Java SDK

Hello All
Is it possible to create and modify Universe using the Java SDK. The Universe Designer SDK uses COM components but is there a Java SDK?
Thanks

ZRamesh (BOB member since 2013-07-05)

Welcome to B :mrgreen: B!

Why would you want to do this? A universe is not something that can be created programatically, IMO. What is your actual requirement?

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Hi All,

Even we have a similar requirement so as to create a universe using java sdk on BO3. Has any one done this before ? Rather than manually creating the universe if we could automate the universe creation programmatically using java it would save a lot of time.
I do understand the fact that universe creation if one time activity but considering a case where in we would like to replicate the universe on multiple server instances then approach would be of great help.
Any form of tutorial or any start would be of great help.

Regards

roger_1 (BOB member since 2013-07-08)

Welcome to B :mrgreen: B!

Couldn’t you use server federation functionality to acheive this?

As stated before generating a universe this way is not recommended. You will end up with a user unfriendly universe that is not functionally rich, IMO.
https://bobj-board.org/t/70937

https://bobj-board.org/t/77588

Thanks a lot for your reply and your time Mak

but this is more of research requirement. We just wanted to see if we can do it using java sdk. Since the bo3 sdk provides classes so as create report we wanted to see if we can generate universe in similar fashion.

I’m very new to bo3 , Also after searching a bit I see com sdk has a similar provision. We don’t mind even if the universe is bit dirty but big question is that can we create universe using bo3 java sdk.

Regards

I’m not saying it can’t be done, just its more trouble than its worth. Sure you can probably create a very basic star schema universe this way, providing you are running a very disciplined DB design.

However if you want anything more complicated that classes and objects and basic structure you will have to amend manually anyway.

Also, I’m unsure whether you will be able to amend the universe parameters e.t.c programatically.
Personally, I wouldn’t even consider this option.

Thanks a lot for your time :slight_smile:

Universe manipulation is only possible using COM libraries in XI3; there is no Java SDK available.

You could use a Java-COM bridge. I tried this once but didn’t have much luck.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

Doh! Missed a salient point there Joe, thanks :slight_smile:

I’ve read about a third party tool* that creates Universes, but it seemed like a lot of overhead and very hard to make simple changes. It is presented as an end to end solution that generates the Data Warehouse process (tables and ETL flow) as well as the corresponding Universe. To make changes, you have to start at the top of the stream and re-generate everything.

OK. I’ve rambled on enough. My point is that it’s hard to replace a developer with some automated Wizard and probably not worth the effort.

*Since I’ve never really used the tool, I won’t mis-represent it by mentioning it’s name.

ChrisW1204 :us: (BOB member since 2011-04-21)

Incase anyone is interested in doing this I have completed creating a universe with designer using java and com(.unv) and also using the javaSDK for .unx universes.

Really the only reason to use java com would be if your org had no intention of ever upgrading to use .unx format. The sdk and .unx is much simpler and makes more sense. Their is also a REST API though I am prestty sure that is only for .unv and is read only so you can’t alter universes or connections etc.

So to answer your question yes it is possible although tedious. Look up com4j and use that as your bridge. It will even generate all the interfaces to the com objects. All you need is the designer .tlb file and the com4j jar.

calvin2121 (BOB member since 2016-06-03)

The REST api does provide info on both unv and unx, but only a limited amount of information is provided.

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)