BusinessObjects Board

Count() not including criteria from Where()

First of all, I’m very new to the entire BO suite, and after a whirlwind introduction to the software have been thrown into the deep end on universe management and report building. So far it hasn’t been bad, but I’ve run into a rather infuriating issue. I’m trying to do what should be simple:

Count([ID]) Where([Flag] = 1)

[ID] is just a list of unique ID numbers for each entity, and [Flag] is a constructed binary operator stating effectively true or false. I have a nearly identical count in another section of the report that functions. Yet for some reason, this one in particular refuses to work. It will either output the total count of [ID], show blank, or give a #Multivalue error depending on whether I’ve got [Flag] as a dimension or measure, or whether the count wraps around the where().

I’m concerned that it has to do with how my flag is determined, but I’m unsure, and not versed enough in WebI to even ask the right questions. [Flag] is determined by a chain of events:
[list]

1. [Criteria] is created from two distinct dates, [Date1] and [Date2].
  2. [Days] is defined as distance between [Date1] and a static date, using [Criteria] to select pertinent dates.
  3. Min([Days]) In([ID]) is created, using NoFilter() to preserve it regardless of report filtering.
  4. [Flag] is created to define Min(Days) above a certain point.
    [/list]

To make matters more annoying, whenever I try and filter on [Flag}, it shows the InList as containing only NULL. Yet when I use a Constant filter on 1, it filters it just fine.

I appreciate any and all help on this, and any future questions I have. This all got thrust upon me very suddenly, and I’m drowning just a bit.

Kyphros (BOB member since 2019-09-20)

• give us screenshots/examples of (wrong) data !
  • if you use it in a report, always pay attention to the calculation-context !
  • what is the difference to the “nearly identical count in another section” ?
  • build a blank report and insert all the dimensions/measures step by step to verify the result !
  • use variables instead of entering the formula in the report-grid !

n8aktiv :de: (BOB member since 2018-12-29)

I appreciate the reply. Screenshots are hard to provide, as some of the data being used is confidential in nature, but I can try to provide a little bit of context. Essentially, I am tracking population movements between certain areas, some of which have specific identifiers. I need to know when each unique individual last entered one of these areas, and from that I need to extract those currently there and have been there for at least X days.

The “nearly identical count” is a count over a similarly defined flag, using almost the same logic: Count([ID]) Where([Other Flag] = 1), with [Other Flag] giving a 1 or 0 based on distinct criteria. The only difference I can find between the two is that one of the items used to create the [Flag] dimension uses a Min(), where the [Other Flag] does not.

All of the items I have mentioned are created variables in WebI.

Kyphros (BOB member since 2019-09-20)