BusinessObjects Board

copying a universe from one stand-alone install to another

Unfortunately our server team hasnt got round to installing it :reallymad:yet so i have to do it this way -

I have set up a universe on my own pc connecting to our sql server - most of the tables have over 20 fields in them so it is quite time consuming having to set up the individual objects for the tables :roll_eyes: (if anyone knows how i can automatically import all the fields this would speed things up greatly!)

Another user needs to access the same universe and as im new to the business objects thing I thought that if i set up the odbc connections etc, and then copied the universe file from my pc to the second pc that i could use this without having to set the whole thing up again on the second computer - needless to say this didnt work, i got an error message telling me that the user didnt have permission to access the universe :frowning:

Can anyone help me to set this up?

Joe :confused:

Joe_mcgrath :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-12-11)

After adding the tables on the right hand side, just drag and drop to the left hand side. By default all are dimensions, so you will need to tweak the objects that should be measures, but at least you have a head start.

File, Save As, and click the “Save for all users” checkbox.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Cheers for the help - however when i check the Save for all Users box i get an error messageThe universe could not be saved in workgroup mode with a secured connection. Change your connection.

Im assuming that this is because the odbc connection requires a password to authenticate with the sql server?

Joe

Joe_mcgrath :ireland: (BOB member since 2003-12-11)

Be aware that essentially what “Save for all users” does is “unsecure” the universe by removing any association with the repository. Now take a moment to review this FAQ topic. With that background, it makes sense that an “unsecure” universe cannot use a secure connection. You will have to create a personal (or shared) connection in order to perform the “save for all users function.”

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

When I built a universe for SQL Server I used an OLE DB provider connection. The connection information is not stored locally but in the repository. So I only had to define it once 8) .

I hope this might be useful,
HenkK

HenkK :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-02)