BusinessObjects Board

Copy paste to Excel

Hi all,

Is it possible to copy a table from BO report and paste it in excel sheet and work with the data in excel.

The data in the table are calculated variables based on different data providers.

Thanks & Regards,
Mohanraj

cpmohanraj :australia: (BOB member since 2002-09-23)

Please, look at FAQ: Reporter thread…

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

You cannot unless I am mistaken copy and paste a table and be able to work with the data.

You can export the data from your entire document to excel by using the Export button on the Cube, but you would then loose all your formatting.

I think I remember reading that the next release of Bo will allow you this functionality.

In the meantime, if you are heavily relying on Excel, you can use BusinessQuery. It works like BO (you get a query panel…) but the output comes in Excel, so you can use the results to do some calculations.

Olivier Masse :fr: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

I copy and paste to Excel all of the time. It loses some of the formatting as far as colors go on alerters. But if you’re just looking to be able to copy the data into Excel and work with the numbers from there…no problem. Take a look at what Andreas suggested for different methods of doing this.

Any “formulas” that you have in Business Objects will come over as a value. But you can add formulas, sort, filter and do anything else you normally would do with a spreadsheet. :mrgreen:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Agreed, the FAQ is the place to start.

I’ve also had good luck with saving the report as HTML, then opening the HTML document in Excel

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

You can export your report to Excel. In BusinessObjects Reporter go to Data -> View Data and then click on ‘Export’. Save the file as a ‘.csv’ file.

Hope this helps.

-Shekhar

Shekhar Singh (BOB member since 2003-02-03)

That doesn’t export your report…it exports your data providers. It depends on what you’re looking to do! :yesnod:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

You can save as .txt and then open it in Excel, you loose all formatting but you keep all the values from formulas. I use this to create data files for other reports.

Scott Bowers :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-30)

Yes this topic was dicussed in great detail and you should find it in FAQ or earlier posts.

In a nutshell, you have to save your report as an HTML file. That creates a subdirectory, go in that subdirectory and find your report.

Don’t Open as HTML, Right click and say Open with Excel. You will loose formulae but most of formatting should be preserved.

However, I will say that if you would need to save them frequently then BO has another piece for that. Check their website (www.businessobjects.com) for details.

Good luck…

kumar (BOB member since 2002-10-13)