BusinessObjects Board

Copy objects from one universe to another universe

Hi,

I want to copy objects of a universe to another universe. The table and fields used by the source object are(of course) available in destination universe.
All the properties (name, description, select clause, where clause, etc.) of the source object should be copied. If the object already exists, then the destination object should be updated.
I consider writing an Access program using VBA (I “heard” that is possible…)
Could anyone tell me if this is possible? And what do I have to import into Access to get it on the run, an ActiveX component e.g.?
If it’s not possible, are there any other ways to easily copy objects to other universes?

Thanks in advance!

Erik11 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2008-03-18)

Does this have to be automated? You can simply copy and paste from one to another. For the duplicate objects it will append a 2 to the name, so you just delete the old one and rename it. You will have to test that this doesnt screw up existing reports by changing object ids, but it should be fine.

maverick976 :us: (BOB member since 2004-07-06)

Well, the update of the destination object is the real problem. If update it by pasting the object you first get a new object with the same name appended by a 2, as you described. Then you have to erase the other object (without the 2), rename the one with a 2. This already involves a few steps, but it will also screw up any report already using the object, as you mentioned (because the deleted object could have been used in a report!). And that’s the thing I want to prevent!

Erik11 :netherlands: (BOB member since 2008-03-18)

Go to the diamond website and it will tell you what sdk items you will need, but one question. Why do you need to copy the objects? Is there a reason that you arent simply overwriting the old universe. since apparently you are ok with some of the objects that exist in it? Are there objects in the original universe that dont exist in the new one? If so, you could easily copy and paste those into the new universe and overwrite the old one.

maverick976 :us: (BOB member since 2004-07-06)

Maverick brings up excellent points. Seems there is a better way to manage change than what you are requesting. That said, it certainly IS possible to update objects. Take a look at these two utilities to get some ideas as to what is possible.

Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK
Mass update to object names / descriptions

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)