BusinessObjects Board

Controllling data access of users at the universe level

Hi,

I had a doubt in universe regarding the implementation of security. We are using BO XI R3.1

Existing process: We had a portal called flex (intranet site)which the BO report has been integrated and for opening the report the name of report was clicked (hyperlink)

This report should show the data specific to the user profile logged into the portal.

Now if we want to restrict the data at universe level for each individual users accessing the report in portal our idea is to create a dervied table (which contains a list of userid’s and project id’s)in universe so that who ever logged into the portal and clicks on report he will see the data only related to profile

For example: The scenario would be a manager residing in a region need to see the list of projects which he is assigned to but not all of them.

Could you please let me know how can implement at universe level. Kindly suggest a better approach with details and also pls let me know if you need any futher information.

Thanks,
Eswar

Eswar (BOB member since 2006-05-02)

Hi,

This topic may give you some idea:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Or check this presentation by Steve Krandel

Though it may be for earlier versions but the universe part should be working

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Eswar,

When you were discussing this the other day, it seemed that you didn’t want people to have a BO user account.
The techniques, decribed in the link and Steves presentation would mean that all your users would have to have BO user account.

As I said, in your last post, before, I don’t think any other way is possible.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Mark,

The only other way that I could think of doing it would be one of the two flavours of full client with ODBC-driven security. Probably far messier in the long run if BO is the strategic BI tool of choice and wouldn’t work in a Webi environment anyway.

Either that or develop an intranet site that’s far more complex than the tool itself. :crazy_face: :lol: