BusinessObjects Board

Contexts

Hi

In order to resolve a loop I have 2 contexts in my univ.
My table B is joined to Fact A, and Fact C. so the join from B to A is in Context X and the join from B to C is in Context Y.

Now, if I pull any objects from B and C, I see them as in Query, but if I pull anything from B and A, I see 2 queries generated. I tried different options, but somehow, the objects from B and A will not show up in the same query.

As per my understanding, the contexts, come into play if i select objects from A, B and C… then there should be 2 queries generated, one for each context. however, that is not happening.
Even I am selecting from B and A, still it is showing 2 queries, while there is context X, in which this join exists…

Please guide on how to resolve this?

Thank You

Flex (BOB member since 2012-04-18)

which version you are in ??
Looks like you include all tables ABC in each context. If it is in 3.1 check the list mode and see if contexts have any loop ( I mean loop with in context )

RUC :us: (BOB member since 2010-05-03)

Thanks for quick reply RUC

Yes, that’s the point - contexts do not get rid of loops completely. Aliases do, however I cannot use Aliases since there are a lot of tables involved.
Maybe we’re overlooking something very simple ???

I am not sure which version of 4.0 it is.
Well, the joins are either included or excluded, so I have all tables in the contexts but the joins are either included or excluded. is it possible as to what i am trying to do.
What is the normal behavior when using Contexts, BO should automatically select the context when you use objects from 2 tables inside the context.
Need some help, please

OK, I have solved the first part,

Now the Objects in B table are following contexts. If I go with objects from B and C, the X context is used and the other context used when i choose from B and A.
But when I bring in objects from B, A, and C, it says incompatible objects, … where I was expecting that it will create 2 queries and used synchronization to run 2 queries.
What should be the solution here,?

Please help me

:hb:

Context X should have all joines related to fact A
Context Y should have all joins related to fact B
If there is a join from A to C and a join from B to C, table C is a conformed dimension.
If you select objects from just C, you might be prompted for a context depending upon your parameters.
If you select objects from C, A and B, it will generate two pieces of SQL, one for each context. If there are dimensions created based on A or B they will be irrelevant to the fact table information and you won’t be able to work them together - if Rental Return Date is in Rental Fact, it has no context in Sales Fact.

Contexts resolve loops. Aliases allow you to use tables for different purposes.

I have removed my question

GBS74 (BOB member since 2007-01-23)

Is the SQL joined or synchronised?

Also, why are you so keen to pass the SQL back to the database?

I don’t know why he has hijacked this thread :? .

been discussing this here:-

https://bobj-board.org/t/205626

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

Probably saw that I answered it better than you Mark hehe. :wink:

Or didn’t like your answer and thought someone else would have one that he liked more. :blue:

It similarly has rules about cross-posting.

We provide answers and help in general on a free of charge basis. If you want an improved service, then feel free to pay for it.

Moderator note @GBS74
Please do not cross-post. It leads to fragmented discussions and is against our forum rules. See your other thread here: JOIN_BY_SQL and multiple SQL

Please help keep BOB friendly! Review this topic for some suggestions, thanks.

Thanks.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

There are two questions of mine that you haven’t answered, before Mak1 got involved in the thread. They are neither vague nor answers, they are diagnostic questions.