BusinessObjects Board

context or alias?

Hi All.

I have a question.

The objective of my universe is translate the data of each tables. Then i create a fact, a dimensions tables, a translation tables for each dimension table and one table denomined “DM_Lingua” (DM_Language).

I need to use one prompt of DM_Lingua for user chose language to view the data, but i had some problens with this and i arrived a conclusion:

1. If i create contexts, i do not use two objects of each contexts on the same query.
  2. If i create alias, i do not have possibilites to create only one filter with prompt, i have to create one filter for each context/dimension translated (if i have 14 alias, i need 14 prompts)
  3. If i use the DM_Lingua on each Dimension, it works =) but i have a loops =(

Please, which the best way to i resolve this? if i use options 1 and 2, the customer disapproves this.

Thanks in advance.

Rodrigo.

rodrigocpz (BOB member since 2008-03-26)

I feel your pain, I too am really only just starting to learn the concept of contexts. I created one on my very first universe 5 years ago and then managed to avoid them until a couple of months ago.

As people have told me, contexts are an integral part of a universe and should never be overlooked. There are only two ways to resolve loops, contexts and aliases.

You have to choose which is the best to suit your requirement and you are the only that can make that decision.

If you design your conext right, you should be able to build a query without getting a context prompt. This is the challange and generally what the customer does not want to see.

If I were you, I would simply tell your customer that there are two options, choose one and if they can’t, you choose one for them and then they have to live with your design choice.

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

Rather than reinvent the wheel there is a topic in the FAQ of this fourm.

:shock:

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)