BusinessObjects Board

Connection Information

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows where exactly (or how) connection data is stored in the repository?

Basically we are attempting to clean up some things in our system and one of the things we are doing is trying to get rid of unused connections or duplicate connections. Now obviously we could go through this by hand and figure out what does what but that would be both time consuming and pointless for the future. What I am looking for is the place in the repository where the full connection information is stored so I could automate the detection of these connections.

Currently I am able to find the connection name in OBJ_M_CONNECTION and the encrypted value of (what I’m assuming is) the other connection info (database, schema and password) in OBJ_M_CONNECTDATA. However I can’t find anywhere where the plain text version of the database is stored. I can indirectly find the schema name if the connection is currently being used by a universe (stored in UNV_UNIVERSE_DATA), but other than that I am stuck.

I hope that you can make out what I am going for here, if not I’ll try to explain further.

Hatterson (BOB member since 2006-05-30)

Update

After some more investigation I am unable to find anything further on this and it appears the only place the full connection data is stored is in the connections table and it is encrypted.

So unfortunately it required a lot of alt-tabbing and typing to trim the 130ish connections in our database to around 50. Well, actually just to get the list of the 50 we need. It’ll require more manual work to reassign universe connections on the several duplicates we have and to actually eliminate the invalid and unused connections.

I really wish there was a way to automate this :frowning:

:+1: :+1:

These spreadsheets help a ton.

We’re on v6.5.1 here however the XI sheet didn’t work for me. I got a compiler error when trying the macro (something about being unable to find a project or library), so I tried the v5 sheet and it worked like a charm.

In a matter of seconds it spits out what it took me an afternoon to do :hb: Oh well, better late than never.

This really helped me too.
Thanks
Caroline

cbreen :uk: (BOB member since 2003-05-14)

A utility to automate the documentation of universe connection details can be found here.

Note, the post referenced in the link above was originally part of this thread, but was split off on its own and moved to the BOB’s Downloads forum.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)