BusinessObjects Board

Connecting Remotely to Designer

Hi All,

How can I connect to the Universe Designer from a client machine remotely? The ports 6400 and 8080 have been made available to us remotely and I am able to log on to Infoview, CMC and Crystal Reports remotely.

However, upon accessing the Designer from my machine, I get an error “Cannot access repository”. (The internal IP is naturally different from the public IP address.) Could you guide me on this?

Thanks for your help!

boxi123 (BOB member since 2010-03-05)

Welcome to B:bob:B!

Check these older topics if they are of any help to you:

Marek Chladny :slovakia: (BOB member since 2003-11-27)

Actually, 6400 is port of “Name Server”, not of CMS by its self.

Designer initially connects to 6400 port, receives request port of CMS and then all data exchange goes thru it port.

So, you can manually define request port in CMS Server configuration and allow connection to this port on your firewall.

Note, that if you have several CMS in your cluster, you have to do that for all CMS, so your cluster will handle client connections during CMS-failure correctly.

vovasyd :ukraine: (BOB member since 2009-10-15)

Thanks for your replies.

Any ideas how can I assign a request port for Designer in CMC?

Thanks!

CMC->Servers->[Your CMS]->Properties->Common Settings:

Disable auto assign and enter request port value (should differ from Name Server port!).
Then restart CMS server.

Thanks for the help!

I have been able to assign the port, but now I face a bigger problem… I cannot start my CMS… It says:

"Error: Server :6400 not found or server may be down (FWM 01003) null "

How do I resolve this?

Thanks

What value of request port you assigned? Maybe this port already in use by another application?

I assigned 6410. The trouble is that I cannot even go and change it now since I can’t log into CMC as the server is down…

6410 is already in use - it is standard port of SIA (What coincidence! :mrgreen: ).

So follow this steps to resolve your issue (and be careful this time! :wink: ):

1. Start CCM from Start->All Programs->BusinessObjects XI 3.1->BusinessObjects Enterprise->Central Configuration Manager.
  2. Stop Server Intelligence Agent.
  3. Open SIA Properties and go to Configuration Tab.
  4. In Port Number change 6410 to any other value.
  5. Start Server Intelligence Agent.
  6. Login to CMC and correct CMS request port.
  7. Repeat above steps to change SIA Port Number back to 6410.