BusinessObjects Board

Conditions with Prompts

I am trying to create a condition in the universe which will prompt the users to select either a single value, multiple values or type the work ALL to get all of the values but am getting an error. - Please help!

The syntax I am trying is (error is missing right parenthesis)

DECODE(@prompt(ā€˜Enter Profile(s) or ALLā€™,ā€˜Cā€™,ā€˜Risks\Risk Profileā€™,multi,constrained),ā€˜ALLā€™,ā€˜ALLā€™,RISK_PROFILES.risk_profile_name)
=@prompt(ā€˜Enter Profile(s) or ALLā€™,ā€˜Cā€™,ā€˜Risks\Risk Profileā€™,multi,constrained)

If I replace the @prompt with an @variable statement (below) it works but the users donā€™t get a LOV and there are thousands of values in the list.

DECODE(@variable(ā€˜Enter Profile(s) or ALLā€™),ā€˜ALLā€™,ā€˜ALLā€™, RISK_PROFILES.risk_profile_name) = @variable(ā€˜Enter Profile(s) or ALLā€™)

Joanna.Adde@eaga.com (BOB member since 2010-11-17)

Try these FAQs

https://bobj-board.org/t/15227/2
https://bobj-board.org/t/15227/9

And welcome to B :mrgreen: B!

Mak 1 :uk: (BOB member since 2005-01-06)

You shouldnā€™t be using @Variable. @Prompt is used for prompts.

Brilliant thanks - the solution on the first link worked

You will still need the second link to create your custom LOVā€¦:).

Doesnā€™t the 3rd from last parameter in the @prompt statement mean that all values from the column ā€œRisk Profileā€ are selectable in the LOV?

I meant displaying ALL to the userā€¦

No ALL is not a value. I means when the prompt is displayed (when the report is refreshed) and the ā€œValuesā€ button is selected then all of the values that the column contains appear to the user.

I assume that is because teh parameter ā€˜Risks\Risk Profileā€™ is present. Based on this what else would a customer LOV give me unless I only wanted a subset of the values to be available?

Or did you mean the word ALL can be typed instead of *?

Hi Joanna,

Yes, of course, you will get all the customer values in the database, unless you have any row restrictions.

Let me clarify 8), you wish the users to also be able to select ā€˜ALLā€™, or ā€˜*ā€™, or whatever, to show all records, correct?
The second link shows you how to insert the ALL into your Customer LOV, so the user can still pick this as a choice from the list, even though it is not a value in your DB column.
This, of course, may not be important for you, or your users, but it can be for othersā€¦

Cheers,

Mark.

Right Iā€™ve got you. Yes I want them to be able to view all records is required but not too bothered about it being from a list - iā€™m sure typing a * is easy enough!

Use ful to have the link though incase I need in future - Thanks

Have you exported the LOV with the universe, this is under the objects properties, in Designer?
Deski will be using a local copy on your PC.
To be honest, one of this size will take a long time to refresh anyway, especially, if it comes from a non-dimension table.

EDIT
Gulp, Iā€™m now talking to myself :rotf: