BusinessObjects Board

Comparing BO with other tools

Having developed using both tools in a Teradata environement, I would say that Business Objects is a far better more flexible tool for getting information into the users hands.

The only places where MicroStrategy “beats” Business Objects is the following:

• Exporting formatted results into Excel. Our users scream for this and we can’t do it in Bobj
  • Business Objects doesn’t lend itself to large developement efforts. More then 2 developers working on a single universe is all but impossible. Because MicroStrategy allowed individual “objects” to be checked in and out of the metadata and locked access the individual object.
  • Prompts get the nod in MicroStrategy.
  • MicroStrategy is more advanced with their Web stuff.

gzollinger1 (BOB member since 2003-01-23)

Wait for Tosca/BO v6 8)

You can use linked universes (which have some drawbacks when migrating from Development to Test to Production)

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Mike,

Do you know the origin of BI Tools.pdf? I am using information from it in discussions with my supervisor and would like to be able to tell her more about its origins. Saying “I got it from this guy on the internet” just doesn’t compare to saying “It was prepared by Mr. X when Company Y was researching BI tools for a new implementation”.

Lee Drake :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

A co worker of mine found the origin of BI Tools.pdf.

Lee Drake :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Does anyone have any prior working experience with a tool named nQuire?

The company was bought over by siebel sometime last year. There was a proof of concept started at my prior client’s place but stopped because it had some issues dealing with the specific nature of data.

Anjan Roy (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

BO versus Proclarity.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

What about prices? I don’t know other products but do you think that BO is an expensive product?

Schuster :united_arab_emirates: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)

BO is not the cheapest, but it’s also not the most expensive. Talking about pricing isn’t a very useful exercise as it will vary in every situation.

BO is a great product that can help with a big Return on Investment on your BI project. It might be a bit more expensive than some of the products, but price should not be the reason to buy something else.

Steve Krandel :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-25)

Cognos is coming out with a product called ReportNet which will compete with Webi and full client. Here is an article.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Designer 5.5? Wow, that is a well-informed buyer’s guide! :rotf:

JF Cayron :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

How does Hyperion Essbase fit. Is it a competitive or a complementary product to BO :?:

Cheers,
Joe

joeoc :ireland: (BOB member since 2002-11-18)

Both (the consultant’s dreaded answer :smiley: !

Truthfully speaking, it is a complementary product and it would be great if everyone saw it that way. There are some things that you can do in Essbase that simply can’t be done in the BO microcube.
For an article with a few specific examples on this, check out
http://www.askcindi.com/TDWI_DOLAP_MOLAP07_02.htm
If you have the budget, I like it when companies have both. The big issue is that WebI as a front end to Essbase is not as good as the front end products from Hyperion. Maybe 6.1 will solve that. Thus, it can be viewed as a competing product, especially if companies try to use Essbase as the data mart architecture.

I also thought you’d like to know that Wayne Eckerson and I teach a course for TDWI evaluating these tool sets. Somewhere on TDWI’s web site, there should be a link for members on the results … or here is the course description.:
http://www.dw-institute.com/education/conferences/sandiego2003/sessions2.asp?session_code=292.
Besides talking to customers, checking out news groups (like this one!:), we installed each of the products to get a bit more under the covers about how the products really work and compete.
Regards,
Cindi

cindihowson (BOB member since 2002-08-30)

Hi,

I would also like to see a comparison to Excel, because users in our organization always compare BO with Excel. They are incompatible, but users don’t have that knowledge. It would be great to show them a list of things that will show them what the differences are!

Thanks!

mayle (BOB member since 2002-10-25)

For starters:

• You cannot build ad-hoc queries with Excel based on a DB
  • You cannot easily implement security using Excel spreadsheets

Excel is a spreadsheet application and not an ad-hoc reporting tool.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Even if you use MS Query within Excel to access a DB, you don’t get the ‘semantic layer’ from Designer. Users have to know the underlying data structure. . .and they usually don’t wanna know!

KSG :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-17)

I wonder if there is a more recent version. Two years is a very long time in the technology world.

Thanks.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

I recently published a series of articles with Intelligent Enterprise that compares the six of the leading BI suite vendors, so that should give you more information. If you don’t subscribe to the magazine, you can access them online.

Within the next month, you will also be able to access more details on www.biscorecard.com.

Regards,
Cindi

I’ve been following it … wonderful article Cindy … a 7 part series no less (WOW).

Here’s links to what’s been published so far:
Part 1: Evaluating the Suites One Functional Area at a Time
Part 2: Reporting Capabilities
Part 3: Information Delivery
Part 4: Excel Integration
Part 5: OLAP

Chris Pohl :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Here is the link to part 6 and 7:

JShih (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thanks for posting all these links! I also now have two very detailed reviews up on biscorecard.com (for subcribers) on both Business Objects and Cognos ReportNet. The Query and Reporting criteria are about 50+ criteria that I’ve looked. Based on some of the reader feedback I’ve gotten and some of the confusion that seems to be out there about WebIntelligence vs desktop, I’ve split these two products out in the review.

There is also a free “cheat” sheet or which vendors make which products.

Regards,
Cindi