BusinessObjects Board

Comparing 3.1 to 4.1 security

Hello folks,

We just migrated from 3.1 SP5 to 4.1 SP5 and I was wondering if there is an efficient way to compare security access for users/usergroups. How did everyone else do it? Do I need to start learning the Java SDK?

Thanks!
Bob

GSCBob (BOB member since 2013-09-18)

There aren’t any significant changes in security from 3.1 to 4.1, so you should be OK. If anything went wrong during migration, of course, you should find that out during UAT, or, worse case, after GoLive.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Hey Michael, thanks for your reply. When we migrated all of our content, I quickly noticed that couple of universes that previously had “No Access” on some usergroups now have “View” access in the 4.1 environment. Our security in 3.1 had a lot of explicitly granted or denied access and that worries me how it’s going to behave in 4.1…Another example, in 3.1, only the Administrator group had CMC access and now multiple groups do. I am not looking for something that automatically compares security but maybe a script to extract the data and I’ll do a compare in excel/Webi.

Thanks.

Yeah, that’s the kind of thing that shouldn’t happen. I would open a ticket with SAP for that. That’s a serious problem. I don’t know of a script for comparing the two. Of course, that doesn’t mean there isn’t such a script out there. I know there are 3rd party tools that can do it. But you shouldn’t need to buy another tool to find out what was broken by a bug.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)

Thanks for the reply Michael. We ended up hiring a consultants to help us with the migration and the report conversion. Hopefully they have the tools to figure out the discrepancies and fix it.

May be too late, but you might find my SeeSec utility to be useful.

Joe

joepeters :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-29)