BusinessObjects Board

CMS Failover for CCM Command Line Call

Has anyone attempted to create failover redundancy for logging into the CMS when using command line scripts such as the ones that are used with the CCM or the Promotion Manager scripting?

It appears that the configuration only wants to see it in the form of %Server%:6400.

Another option that I thought of but haven’t had time to investigate would be some type of attempt to connection to one CMS and if it isn’t available attempt to connection to a secondary CMS (in the same cluster).

We have some interfaces that are external to Business Objects and are attempting to put some type of failover redundancy in place for them.

We tried creating an AName record on our loadbalancer (F5) but the scripts weren’t able to connect. The message was

Could not reach CMS '%LoadBalanceName%:6400'. Specify the correct host and port and check for network issues. (FWM 20030)

This particular message was when trying to use the lcm_cli.bat for Promotion Management but it could be applicable for CCM.exe calls as well.

I found a way to code this using PowerShell.

$Server1_CMS = Get-Process -ComputerName Server1.sentry.com -Name CMS -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
If ($Server1_CMS) {
# "Server1 CMS running"
$CMS = 'Server1:6400'
}
Else {
# "Server1 CMS not running"
$Server2_CMS = Get-Process -ComputerName Server2.sentry.com -Name CMS -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
  If ($Server2_CMS) {
  # "Server2 CMS running"
  $CMS = 'Server2:6400'
  }
}
$CCM='D:\BOE\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\ccm.exe'
$NODE='NodeID'
$CCM -managedstart $NODE'.ConnectionServer' -cms $CMS -username $UID -password $PWD -authentication secEnterprise

You could also configure your system with a cluster name and then use “@ClusterName” to log in instead of using “Server:Port”.

-Dell

hilfy :us: (BOB member since 2007-04-16)

I didn’t think about that Dell. I’ll have to try that. Thanks.

Test results:
Substituting Cluster:6400 didn’t work. I get this error:

Unable to logon to CMS
Reason: CMS host 'Cluster' cannot be found on the network. Please verify the name and that network name resolution is working properly.

This is running on a server that doesn’t have a local CMS running so the SIA Configuration doesn’t show that it belongs to a cluster. I’m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Further Testing:
I was able to get this to work but you have to use only @Cluster. Don’t specify the port number. This was in a batch file. I haven’t tried it in the PowerShell script yet but I will.

Additional Testing:
I was also able to use the @Cluster designation in PowerShell. I have only tested it on a single server environment but I think it is safe to say that it should work in a clustered environment also. I will be implementing it in our clustered environments when I get the chance.