BusinessObjects Board

Clean up Formula

Is there a way to delete all the unused formulas that are not being used in the reports at once without manually going into variables window and delete one by one? Thanks…Stewart

smac (BOB member since 2003-12-05)

i do not think so.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

I sometimes use VBA to remove similarly named variables in a simple loop. I don’t know but I wonder if VBA can manipulate the property of a formula that states it is obsolete (the little warning triangle). Worth searching the VBA forum - I have a feeling we’ve discussed a similar requirement before.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

I have dabbled some with a VBA utility to removed unused variables / formulas. Unfortunately, the object model simply isn’t robust enough to definitively determine that a variable / formula is truly unused. Items like sorts, block filters, and breaks can’t be interrogated.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Another update:

It looks like there is no easy foolproof way. Whenever you delete a variable you should get a warning if it is used.

I did a quick test in Business Objects v5.1.6 and I got a warning when I tried to manually delete a variable being used as part of another variable, which was used in a complex filter.

I did NOT get a warning if I tried to manually delete a variable being used as part of another variable which was used as a Master/Detail though!

Of course if you delete a variable that is used in the definition of another variable the menu Data| Variable… will show an exclamation mark.

Regarding used universe objects, see: List Objects Used in a set of Documents

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)