BusinessObjects Board

Changing the data provider

Hi all…
I have a Report which is created from Universe 1 I want to change the data provider from universe 1 to universe 2. universe 2 also has the same tables is it possible.
plz give me some inputs
thanks and regards
kris

krishna :india: (BOB member since 2003-08-05)

Yes it’s possible…try doing a search and you should find your answer! :mrgreen:

Eileen King :us: (BOB member since 2002-07-10)

Hey King…
Thanks for that

Hey any body plz give me some idea… this is an urgent requirement
thanks
kris

Do you have the exact same tables in both databases? If so, it may be easier to create a “dummy” account with a different connection associated to it for the same universe. With your normal ID, you’d connect to Connection A, and with the “dummy” account, you’d connect via Connection B.

I use this in testing quite often when the table structure matches and I just need this occasionally.

If these are just in different schemas (on the same server), you might be able to turn the “OWNER” into a prompt asking which database account you’d like to access data from.

Lastly… You can edit a report and change the data provider to point to the new universe. You want to search for “change” and “data Provider”

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Krishna,

Try this.

1. Open your report.
  2. Click on Data -> View Data.
  3. Choose your Data provider, click on “Definition” tab.
  4. You will find… “Universe:” and a small button.
  5. Click on that you will be able to make your report pointing to different universe.

Other option is you can also accomplish this using BO SDK. That requires much knowledge of component model of business objects.

Good Luck,

• Arun.

nellaiarun :india: (BOB member since 2003-01-15)

One interesting thing to note about the process outlined in the previous post is that the universe that is currently in use does not show up on the list of universes to switch to. I guess they felt that since you were already using it, you didn’t need to see it on the list. :wink: But the new universe that you want to switch to should show up.

Dave

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

You can do it manually like the friends says in the previous posts.
In my case we have 5 labs and 5 universes on 5 servers;(every nigt data is written from the local server to our central sever)
So when I make a report for the labs it must be used in the 5 labs, so I have to modify the universe in the DP 5 times and that takes a lot of time.
So we made a script in VBA to do switching easier: I’ll post it here next week, because I’am on holiday now.
Johan

johangel (BOB member since 2003-03-23)

This is a common question and the answer can be found by easily searching this forum or review the commonly asked questions at the top of this forum under FAQS. See this link
https://bobj-board.org/t/15226/22

Michele Pinti (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

The scrip is made in VB 6.
After opening the report you import the VB-file and you can easily modify the universe of the dataproviders;
The script is rather easy:

Sub change_connection()
Dim i As Integer

For i = 1 To Application.ActiveDocument.DataProviders.Count
Application.ActiveDocument.DataProviders(i).Edit
Next i

MsgBox (“Einde”)

End Sub

johangel (BOB member since 2003-03-23)