BusinessObjects Board

Change Universe and Objects via VBA

Hi,

we´re using a lot of universe based reports that have to be changed to a new and renamed version of the universe. To make things worse some object names have changed, so once I changed the data provider in a report that uses these objects it will be totally messed up.

Is there a way to change the universe and renamed objects with VBA?

Thanks for your help.

Bombjack :de: (BOB member since 2004-11-29)

I’m not sure I followed all of that exactly. Are you wanting to automate the changing of the object names within the universe? If so, this utility might be of interest to you.

If you have already made the changes to the universe, then no VBA is needed. The reports use an internal number, not the name, to identify the object. The new names will be picked up automatically. The only problem would be if you are making the changes to a “different” universe (file, save as). When you repoint a data provider to a new universe, it DOES rely on the object names. Now that I re-read your message, I fear this is the case, right?

So you want VBA to change the data providers then, correct? I’m afraid you are in for a LOT of work. First, objects in a data provider can’t be changed at all. The properties are read-only. You would have to delete the old object and add the new object. If the new object name is different, the report will “break” (cells removed from tables and the like) when you save the data provider. If the objects are used as conditions, then it gets even more tedious (like retaining any nested and / or logic).

My suggestion is that you seriously consider making the changes to the original universe. If that is unacceptable, make a copy of the original universe, repoint all the data providers to the new universe BEFORE any changes are made (this can be automated). By doing it this way, the object names won’t matter.

What is the extent of the changes? Mostly object name changes? The utility I mentioned above can help. It can also be modified to change select statements or any property if the volume is large enough.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :frowning: .

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

Yes, I want VBA to change my data providers and some renamed objects. Unfortunately I only have access to BO Full Client, not to the Universe Designer.

If we´re changing the universes manually we have exactly the problem you described, the report breaks - that´s what I meant with messed up. We have to change about 200+ Reports, I really hoped there would be a way to automate. Sounds like a lot of work coming at me :cry:

Bombjack :de: (BOB member since 2004-11-29)