BusinessObjects Board

Centralized TNSNAMES file

Does anyone know of a way to have a centralized TNSNAMES.ORA file that the servers and full client installs can point to instead of having to deploy a new TNSNAMES file everytime it changes? Please let me know

thanks
B

macster (BOB member since 2004-01-22)

tnsnames.ora file must be stored in the directory where Oracle database or client is installed. You cannot redirect to different location without hacking the Oracle system itself.

Therefore, until Oracle changes it, updating tnsnames.ora file will always be part of the implementation tasks.

Hope this helps.

substring :us: (BOB member since 2004-01-16)

sorry, I do not know the details but yes there is way. we use to have a huge problem with constantly changing and new testing DB instances and not being able to connect due to outdated tnsnames files. Our DBA created a master or centralized tnsnames.ora file and distributed a new sqlnet.ora file that that references the master file. maybe someone with more of a DBA background will chime in and provide more details.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

You can implement Oracle names, which is a centally managed oracle naming services for oracle database.

Read more about it http://www.frox.com/downloads/SYS_2001.pdf

Regards,
Durgesh

dcdas :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Just as an aside you can actually put the whole tnsnames entry in your connection - there was a thread posted about it ages ago - I tried it and it worked!

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

The topic is here and yes, it is a very neat trick indeed.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)