BusinessObjects Board

Cascading Prompt

Hi,
I am trying to create cascading prompt using Island Resorts Marketing Unvierse using Resorts Class…

inside Universe, i’ve selected Tools->List of Values-> Create Cascading list of values, i’ve selected entire Resorts Class. (this case by default all 4 objects and Prompt description also comes)…then i saved and exported to repository.then i’ve opened Rich cleint and took all 4 objects (Country,Resort, Service Line and Service) as Query objects and kept Service under condition panel and created prompt for Service (inlist “Which Service lines you are interested in”).when i run the report, it first asked me for “What service line you are interested”, i’ve selected values under US->Brahmas Beach->Accomadation->Hotel Room & Hotel Suite. and ran the report…
But the result data set coming from Countries US and France and their data.but here my question is how come France data is coming in this report (i’ve selected data under US country only)

is there anything wrong with my approach in creating cascading prompt?

i am using Business Objects XI3.1 version

Thanks
Narne

mnarne :uk: (BOB member since 2007-09-17)

Hi,

Please refer this link. This gives you the step-by-step creation of Cascading prompt.

-Srujana

srujanaj :india: (BOB member since 2010-02-10)

Were you prompted for country selection before selecting the service line?

haider :es: (BOB member since 2005-07-18)

Haider, Yes,
First i gave Values for Country i.e US, Next Resort :Brahmas Beach, Next Service LIne : Accomadation, Next Service: Hotel Room, Hotel Suite.

Still i am getting data foir US and France.

Sujana: Thanks for your pointing me to the thrad, my approach was same like as mentioned in the thread. still i am getting same results as i mentioned above.

Hi,

I also tried generating the report with your input values and retrieved 2 rows for US (although I selected only Bahamas beach) and 1 row for France in DESKI and retrieved 2 rows 1 for US and other for France in WebI. I suppose that this is due to the Accomodation value that you are selecting (see attachment).

If you check the query, the Where condition would have Service Line In (‘Accomodation’). Hence, it would display the record for France too.

Thanks,
Srujana
CascadingPrompt.doc (25.0 KB)

What you need here is another prompt for country (not cascading prompt for country as it is meant only for displaying LOVs) along with service prompt

Haider,

That might serve the purpose for Country , but still it wouldn’t display the Unique resort value selected (Bahamas in this case).

-Srujana

I think Narne should first tell or rethink if cascading prompts are actually needed for his/her requirement or its just a country and service prompt

Hi Haider,
i am just going through the cascading prompt syntax and trying to understand how it works.

here, if i select country as US, it should give values for Country US only ( whether its Resort, Service Line or Service), right?..but its not happening here…that’s what my question…cascading prompt syntax works like this or not?

you mean to say, do i need to take country as another prompt along with Service in the Query? …yes that might works…but is it comes under cascading prompt syntax?

Thanks
Narne

Looking at your actual requirement of seeing final output in the report on selecting a country, you need a country prompt (along with either Resort, Service Line or Service prompt if needed)

On your other question of how cascading prompts works, its kind of a hierarchical effect. A service value can be selected on traversing the Country, Resort & Service line cascading prompts(order in which the cascading LOVs are set in the universe)