BusinessObjects Board

Cascading Prompt Question

I need some help with the cascading prompt. I have a report requirement wherein when the user runs the report, a prompt pops up with 5 different values

1.Daily
2.Weekly
3.Monthly
4.Quarterly
5.Date Range

When the user chooses the first four values, the date is dafaulted to last 30 days, last 4 weeks, last 12 months and last 4 quarters. This is my start date condition to the report and my End date condition is always current date. I got the report working perfectly, until this point. But when the user chooses the last prompt value (Date Range), it should pop up another prompt with message “Enter Start Date” and let then the user enter a date. I am not able to get the last one working as whatever I do ends up getting the two prompts in the first level itself. I am guessing I should use Cascading Prompts. Can somebody please explain me how to do it?

I have spent more than 4 hrs researching various Cascading prompts topics in BOB and am still not understanding how to do it. I am sorry if its a repost.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

prasathrs (BOB member since 2005-01-18)

Hi
What version of Business Objects are you using?
I believe cascading prompts was not an option till XIR2.

Thanks
Siddhartha

siddhartha.dubey :india: (BOB member since 2006-09-13)

Yes. But it can be created manually and the method is described in this FAQ.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Thanks Jansi.
I am however thinking if we can achive the following with this method.

As described in the problem in the original post lets say I prompt a user as
“Select a Y or N if you want to select a date Range”
Once the user naswers “Y”
i want to display two prompts to select the start and the end date.
“Enter start date” and “Enter End Date”

Is this possible?

Thanks
Siddhartha

siddhartha.dubey :india: (BOB member since 2006-09-13)

I think prompts cannot be suppressed based on the values given in other prompts, they are independent.

If we use XI 3.x, we can have a look into the optional prompts feature.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Hi Siddharta and Jansi,

Thank you for your replies. I am on BO XI 3.0. I will look into the option of optional prompts, if thats the only way to go.

Thanks,
Prasath

prasathrs (BOB member since 2005-01-18)