BusinessObjects Board

Cascading prompt in Webi ?

Can one create Cascading prompt in Webi ?

For example, I have 30 departments, 200 employees,
User will enter deparment and employee name.
Once they select ‘Sales Dept’, can we let employee prompt shows only the employees of ‘Sales Dept’ instead of all the employees in the company ?

Crystal reports has it.

How about Webi, even the new version BOER3 ? Any work around to this ?

Thanks !
Suma

Suma9898 (BOB member since 2006-08-30)

I have the same scenario here, I remember there is a cascading LOV you can use in prompt but is conditional prompt possible?

jvmauricio :philippines: (BOB member since 2009-08-03)

What you ask is possible, but it’s built in the universe, not in the report itself.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Goodday sir,

can you please explain the steps in universe environment.

Thank you :smiley:

Check the below link to create cascading prompt.

krish007 :india: (BOB member since 2006-10-06)

Sir Krish007,

Thank you for the link but what I need most if the Conditional prompt done in universe…

The link provided shows how to create cascading prompts in a universe. If that’s not what you want, then please provide more details for your question.

Good day sir Dave,

Sir Suma(Who started this thread) ask if there is something like a cascading prompt (I later added that a cascading LOV is available). my question was if there is a conditional prompt which only returns a specific LOV based on the user prompt.

example:

I have two prompts : “Which department” and “Which employee”

first prompt ask for the department (Sales, Admin) and when the user selects for example Sales the second prompt for “Which employee” only returns LOV in sales department only rather than a cascading prompt.

Hope I make myself clear, kindly tell me if im missing something

Please help me understand how what you described is different from a cascading prompt?

Sir Dave,

Rather a cascading prompt I will have a two fixed prompt but the second prompts values depends on what the user selects on the first. its like:

If Prompt1 = A then Prompt2 = A

Sorry for the confusing explanation, please let me know if im still not clear

So please explain what you think cascading prompts are, because having a second prompt depend on the value picked from a first prompt is exactly what that technique provides. :slight_smile:

What I said earlier was - in my opinion - the correct response. You cannot create cascading or dependent prompts in Webi, they have to be created in the universe. When you do that, you can have the user respond to two different levels of prompts.

In Deski, the prompts will come up separately. The second prompt will appear, and when you click for a list of values then the first (primary) prompt will appear. Once you pick something from the first prompt the second prompt will be filtered based on that selection.

In my opinion Webi does a much better job. You get a tree structure that you can navigate, and the primary prompt appears as the major tree items. When you click to expand one of those, a second list of values is provided that is filtered based on the parent item in the tree.

It is not possible to have “sequential” list boxes in Webi like you can in Deski, and I for one think that’s an improvement.

Sir Dave,

Thank you very much for the reply, thats what i really want to know, the kind of prompt thats separated (as you have explained the way deski do) Were as in WebI the prompts are in tree structure view. The thing is that I have a requirement that must do like the DeskI does which is not a tree structured cascading prompt.

By the way thank you for the reply and I appreciate the answer.

:smiley:

I think what is being described is more like what Cognos ReportNet does with it Prompt Page and autorefresh whereby lets say you have say 3 prompts on a page and all are blank Branch, Department, Employee.

You select a Branch and the page auto refreshes and displays a list of the departments within that branch.

You select one (or more) of those departments and the page auto refreshes and diasplays a list of the employees within the department(s).

Then you select one (or more) of those employees and the report runs.

I don’t believe BO deski or webi has the auto refresh capability so can’t automatically produce the next level of prompting as the user selects the higher prompt value.

Nniixx :australia: (BOB member since 2009-09-02)

That’s not the way it works, unfortunately. I am not aware of any work-arounds to change the way Webi processes prompts to make them work like Deski.

Which, as I mentioned, I find rather backwards and irritating anyway. :slight_smile:

Sir Nniixx yes thats what I really want to do, but sadly it is not possible in WebI

Sir Dave, yes even our consultants here are quite disappointed of how BO is handling functionalities of WebI :nonod: , hope we can do something about it.
:cry:

I have a requirement to create cascading prompts in our BO setup too.

When the user selects a partner from a list of partners, the territories(countries) in which the partner operates alone, need to be populated.

I did create a cascading prompt as follows :

In the territory name object, I added the partner name as a condition : Partner Name in List "What partners are you interested in? "

When I ran a test report against this, I did get the tree structure of the cascading prompt, where I was prompted to select the partner first and then selected the corresponding territories.

The issue I am facing is : The partner name prompt is not reflecting in the where clause of the SQL query, because of which I find that, the report brings back all the partners’ data for the territory selected.

Eg : If I have partners as 1,2,3,4,5.

1 operates in USA,UK,Japan
2 operates in USA
3 operates in UK,Japan
4 operates in USA,Japan

When I implement my cascading prompt, I am asked to choose the partner first, for which I key in 1.
I do get the options as USA,UK,Japan. I select USA, but when I see the report output, I find that I get data for USA containing all the partners – 1,2 and 4.

Have I not created the cascading prompt correctly or is there something else I need to do. Please advise.

Anuputcha (BOB member since 2009-01-07)

Anuputcha,

This is a drawback in Cascading prompts, you cannot get the values selected in the inner prompts ie., the BO query will not consider the Country name selected :frowning:

The alternative way for implementing this is by concatenating the Country name (inner prompt value) with the Partner and taking the concatenated Country name in the query for fetching the required result.
Example :
1 - USA
1 - Japan
1 - UK
2 - USA
3 - UK

css2983 (BOB member since 2008-11-22)

Thanks. Can you explain a little in detail on how I can go about this concatenating option. I didn’t understand it quite clearly.

Anuputcha (BOB member since 2009-01-07)

-> First create the Partner dimension.
-> Then create a new dimension Country - Partner. Edit this LOV query, select the sql and give the following query

select Country_Name ||'-'|| Partner_Name
        from xyz_table
        where Partner_name = @prompt('Select Partner','A',Partner\Partner Name',mono,constrained,,,)

-> The Output of this LOV wil be
UK - 1
Japan - 1
USA - 1

-> Now when you display the values of this LOV, you will be prompted with Partner Name first and based upon your selection the Country Name - Partner Name will be listed.

-> In the report level query you have to make sure that your including the Partner Name in the where clause which is now concatenated with the Country.

I think you got it :roll_eyes:

css2983 (BOB member since 2008-11-22)

yep as Anuputcha pointed out…true cascading prompts do not work in webi even with the universe prompt workaround.

It only takes the very last selected prompt and inserts it into the sql where clause , disregregarding all previous prompt selections which is not what any user wants.

I honestly don’t see how anyone views this as an imporvement over deski - we have clients very unhappy about this lack of functionality in webi. :hb:

monster1313 (BOB member since 2008-04-21)