BusinessObjects Board

Cant use search for version numbers like "6.1.3"

I am unable to search this forum with a keyword “6.1.3”. Infact anything that has a period(.) between numbers turns out zero matches. With numerous versions of BO around it would be helpful if this search facility is available.

Thanks.

PBS_rocks (BOB member since 2004-03-17)

You are correct! If you look through some of the “Search” topics in the Using This Forum forum, you’ll find out about some of the constraints in searching on BOB. In particular, search words are at least 3 characters long – and periods are one of the delimiters between “words”. So 6.1.3 breaks up into three 1-character “words” and none of them would be saved in the search database.

See here for one of the topics on searching quirks.

However – our BOB administrator did change the site at one point to allow one to do a Google search (rather than a search here on the BOB database, with its constraints).

I tried scrolling down to the bottom of the page and entered 6.1.3 for a search within Forumtopics – and so far, the Google crawlers haven’t yet detected/saved a page on this site with that version number. (Maybe in a few days after they’ve re-crawled – they’ll find this topic!)

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Everything that Anita said is correct.

We had google turned off at the old server due to performance concerns. The permissions are set to allow google once again now that we have moved. It may be weeks before the google spider comes around to visit us again.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

I noticed our page rank is a Google 5 which seems pretty good. Maybe the crawler takes that into consideration when hunting for sites to crawl.

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Will Google search for @where without producing hits with just the word where?

Crash :us: (BOB member since 2004-04-27)

Try it and see… :wink:

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)