BusinessObjects Board

Can't search on this site properly help please

why can’t I type: “6.5 universe export to XI” in the search field?

in fact why can’t I run a search by typing “6.5” in the search field?

Is searching on numbers illegal?

Thanks

David_Dadoun :canada: (BOB member since 2006-04-21)

We are well aware of this limitation, and improvements to the search functionality are “on the list” of enhancments for BOB. I can explain why you are seeing the current behavior. First, we do not index special characters (periods, commas, dashes, etc.) … that explains why version numbers don’t work. Second, we do not index words less than 3 characters in length … that eliminates common words like to, a, I, etc. Finally, there are a number of terms that we eliminate explicitly … words like document and universe appear so often that they are of little value in a search.

An alternative is to use Google search. At the bottom of most screens you will see a Google search box that you can limit to searching only the BOB domain. There is always the risk that Google hasn’t “spidered” the content you are after, but the Google search does not have the limitations mentioned above.

I’m going to move this topic from the General Discussion area to the About BOB forum. You may also find this sticky note useful.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

thanks for the explanation saddly though it doesn’t tell me how I’ll manage to find that specific topic…

alright rolling up the sleeves… lets start diggin’

lol

cheers

David_Dadoun :canada: (BOB member since 2006-04-21)

David,

In addition to what Dwayne explained, we also don’t currently offer phrase searches. But you can use phrase searchin with the Google search at the bottom of the page.

Google’s web spider visits BOB frequently, so only the most recent posts should be missing from a Google search.

MichaelWelter :vatican_city: (BOB member since 2002-08-08)