BusinessObjects Board

Cannot load linked universes (UNV0011)

Hi

We are on BO XI R2 SP3/FP3.5. We migrated some reports and universes from 6.5. When we try to refresh a migrated report we get the ‘Cannot load linked universes (UNV0011)’ and the report is not getting refreshed. The universes (one universe linked with two kernal universes) used for this report have been imported locally but when we try to open the derived universe, we get the same message ‘Cannot load linked universes (UNV0011)’ and the link appears to be broken.

Can you please help why this is happening and how to resolve this?
Thanks.

The Boss :india: (BOB member since 2008-02-08)

Go into the universe on the server and relink them. This has been a known issue ever since I started to use XI. You will also have the problem when you move to your production server and will need to do the same there.
You need to do this every time you move your linked universe to the repository. If you look at the link location, you will notice the name of the server that you are trying to access, if this is not the server you are on, then change it.

plessiusa :netherlands: (BOB member since 2004-03-22)

Thank you for your help.

How do I go into the universe on the server? Can you please help me understand? Also how do I see the link location and the name of the server?
Thanks.

To see the universe on the server you will need to log onto the server, you should try to get a limited admin account for this, you’ll probably find your BO administrators already have one.

The fact that you already know that it is a linked universe, I am going to assume you already know how to change a link, but if you don’t File > Edit > Links

Highlight each of the links that need to change and you’ll see in the file name which server the link is pointing to. If its wrong, click on the change source button and re-point the universe to the correct link, once you’ve sorted this, you should see the name change.

At this point migrate it back to the repository and your report, all going well, should start to work.

Remember all this needs to happen on the server.

I did what you suggested. I changed the source to point to the kernal universe saved on my machine. And then I imported the universe back to the server. Then I tried to refresh the report there I receive an error message ‘Cartesian product not allowed (QP0006)’ and the report is not getting refreshed.

Any thoughts?

I think you have clicked on the Prevent Cartesian product radio button in your universe connection parameters. That is why your data provider is giving that error message. You have to take care of joins to avoid cartesian products.

Jansi :india: (BOB member since 2008-05-12)

Well at least you are no longer getting the can not load linked universe. Try what Jansi has said and see if that gives you the answer to your next question, failing that, you will need to change either your universe or your query to avoid getting cartesian joins.

I found out why this error is appearing. There is one join is missing the migrated universe. The 6.5 version contains 150 joins but the migrated universe in XI showns only 149 joins. Everything else appars to be fine.

Now how can I quickly find out which join is missing compared to 6.5?

Thanks for your help.

I don’t believe there is an easy way, you will need to open the universe one in 6.5, the other in XI and then check one at a time.

Or you need to look at the star schema itself to see if you can visually see which link is missing.

There is a utility in the “Bob’s Downloads” section that documents the components of a universe. You can run this against your 6.5 universe and the XI version and quickly compare the list of joins in Excel.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)

Why download the utility when Designer does the same thing (just not in Excel format). All you need to do is a Save As and choose a type of PDF instead of UNV.

There are tools that will allow you to “diff” two different Excel worksheets. Do they have the same thing for pdf files?

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

With Excel, you can write a formula to do a quick comparison. For PDFs, you’ll have to scan through the list yourself or use some sort of tool to compare contents.

BoB LoblaW :us: (BOB member since 2007-10-23)