BusinessObjects Board

Cannot Import Universe - Exception Access Violation

Has anyone experienced the subject’s error messages? I cannot seem to find a way around this. I simply cannot get access to an exported universe (in the repository). I’ve tried deleting it via Supervisor, scanning and repairing, and re-exporting. Initially I cut the size of the UNI file in half and it was working but now it’s failing to cooperate yet again. Any ideas or experience with this?

John Matthews (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Is the subject line the actual error message or is it the “Unhandled Exception, code:c0000005, Description: Exeption Access Violation”.

If it is the latter, you may want to try and delete the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Business Objects\5.0\design\DESIGNER something may be hosed in your registry.

A couple other things you may want to try:
*Try important from another PC, determine if the problem is local or if it is actually related to Universe in the repository.
*Can you open your local copy OK. If not maybe the local copy is corrupt causing a problem with the import.

jswoboda :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

John,

If this fails during Import, then watch the progress bar to determine which item is causing you a headache.

If it fails during the import of Objects, then there are objects with Similar names that conflict… IE.

“Test Object” and "Test Object "
These objects will EXPORT fine, but because the field names are trimmed on import, they will fail because an object with that name already exists.

-RM

digpen :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

The easiest way to resolve the exception access violation that occurs when Business Objects attempts to import a universe is to delete the existing universe file then try again. Before you delete look at the size of the current file - it may be 0k.

You may need to use Tools/Universes to get the universe back in okay. Sometimes deleting then just going to the query panel to force import can give you a ‘I can’t find the universe’ message.

NB lots of people have had this particular flavour of this error in the past without many reasons ever being found. We think we know one reason for it. This is that we have a user base on 5.1.2 and an IT team with a mixture between 5.1.2 and 5.1.5. For just certain 5.1.2 users if the universe is imported changed and exported on a 5.1.4 machine they get this error when picking it up. I think it is supposed to be an error with the universe version number which was supposed to be fixed in 5.1.3 but doesn’t appear to be. The tech support resolution used to be import and export twice so that the universe version number is definitely correct - never work for us!

cheers, Nick

P.S. I was thinking of writing a FAQ about this error - there are so many reasons and resolutions, but I can’t remember if non admin people can do faqs - I think not.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi Nick and Welcome!

Of course! Anyone can write a FAQ answer. Just post it in the forum to which it belongs. We’ll pick it up and move it for you. We may add to it or delete from it based on the comments others make when THEY read it.

Thanks so much!

Cindy Clayton :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-11)

Here it is!

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)