BusinessObjects Board

Cannot contact scheduler - related issue

Hi all,
I’ve moved our repository to another DB instance, and therefore created another .key file. This is all fine for Reporter, Designer, etc. Even for Broadcast Agent Console I can login, but I can’t run a document (BCB0006 error).
I’ve read the other threads on this error but they don’t give me a fix in this instance. When I look in BCA Administrator under Broadcast Agent Manager I can see the 3 Broadcast Agents I am monitoring. The Parameters for the one which isn’t working properly shows the wrong .key filename. I can’t change this (error: cannot change this parameter while scheduler is connected), but also I cannot stop the BCA/WEBI service (little red dot in bottom right flashes but never ‘stops’).
I can pick the new .key file when I ask to ‘Monitor one more BCA’ and I put in the supervisor user/password but I get a ‘Failed to connect’ error.

I think I’m stuck…any ideas? I’ve rebooted many times with no success.

Edit: 07-Oct-2003 15:10 - the error I get when trying to ‘Monitor another BCA’ is “FAILED - System problem to get BCA list”. I can do this OK using my current .key file (to current live repos), but it fails with my new .key file (to our live as of next Monday Repos). Anyone had this before? Is it a Repository problem or a BCA problem (i.e. do I have to reinstall WEBI/BCA)?

Neil Phillips :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-22)

I’ve sorted this out now, there’s a document you can get from BusObj Knowledge Base detailing how to ‘Create an BCA Administrator Account for Windows NT’. Explains all the DCOM settings and the permissions your User must have within NT User Manager. I’d forgotten all these but the document helps.

It also helps if your company’s technical team don’t just go and change these settings without mentioning anything to you :reallymad: :reallymad:

Thanks for the update! So which of the various settings were you missing - the DCOM ones? Or the 6 permissions like ‘act as part of the operating system’ that the user needs?

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

It was all the extra permissions given through User Manager (act as aprt os O/S, etc). Some nice chap in our Network Support team decided to have a bit of a cleanup of User Rights.
Lets just say he’s no longer on my Christmas card list :reallymad:

Can this BO document be shared with the rest of us?

dirmiger :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-28)

Yep mate, I’ll try to figure how to post an attachment on here.
Alternatively if you have access to BusObj Kx (Knowledge Exchange) you can get it from there (free registration). I searched by asking “FAILED - System problem to get BCA list” and from there I clicked the ‘Show’ box and selected ‘Only expert insights’ (and click Go). About half way down page is an item called ‘How to create Webi/BCA Administrator Account for NT Server’. It’s a .doc file that you can download, and there is also an update for Win2000.

I will post it here as well if I can, but there are a lot of useful related docs on the Kx, particularly if you just search through the ‘expert insights’ section. Generally you can download a .doc or .pdf to guide youthrough things.

Sorry, I don’t think I can post the link/doc on here (I just read the rules about linking to BO TechSupport website, copyright, etc) - Moderators, if I’ve got this wrong can you let me know.

I’m sure I can try to mail the document if people need it, but in honesty you’d be better off registering with the BO Kx because there is a lot of other stuff on there that is useful.

If the document is in the KB, then you cannot post it as the access to the Knowledge Base (KB) is restricted by contract. But the KX is open and therefore the same rules do not apply.

Unfortunately, you’ve already done the best thing which is to describe how to use the KX search to find the same information. The structure of the KX makes direct linking to specific content essentially impossible. Unlike BOB, which allows you to direct link to a specific topic or post. Score one for us. :wink:

You did, however, mention mailing the document. Is it a word doc, or something other than an HTML page? If so, what are the restrictions? Was it written by someone at BusinessObjects? I have seen some docs from BusObj folks that are available for posting / distribution, and therefore could be posted here. Or if the doc was written by someone else, we could simply try to secure their permission to post it here. If either of those is possible, you might try following the submission guidelines to BOB’s Downloads forum.

Agreed. There are plenty of benefits to both systems (BOB and the KX). We’ve never pretended nor intended to be in competition with other services on the Internet.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)

Dave, I’ve found the Doc again in KX. It is a BusObj document and the bumpf at the start says:

Sorry to seem dim but does this mean I can submit the same Doc on BOB? If so I’ll do it this afternoon. Could you clarify for me before I do.

Below is the text from the Document on BusObj KX. A previous post in this topic tells you where to go and get the actual .doc file if you want it.

[i]Table of Contents

1. User Manager for Domains
  2. The WebIntelligence Manager and WebIntelligence Orb services
  3. Servconf and DCOM configuration

Please be aware that when you have followed these instructions given in the following sections, your server must be rebooted.

1. User Manager for Domains

To create a WebI/BCA Administrator you must open User Manager for Domains, found on the server under Start>Programs>Administrative Tools (Common)>User Manager for Domains.

Click “User… Select Domain…” and select the local machine. On the bottom half of the screen under “Groups”, click on “Administrator”. Now from the top menu, click on “User” and then “New User…” Enter the new user details for your WebI/BCA Administrator. Once you have filled in these details, click on the “Groups” button (bottom left) and add “Administrators” to the “Member of:” box. Once you’ve done this, click “OK” then “Add”.

To confirm that your user has been added to the Administrator group, double click the “Administrators” group on the main screen and you should now see your new user among the list of users. Find your user in the top part of the screen, and double click him/her. This will show you the “User Properties” for your user. It is advisable to check the box that says “Password Never Expires”.

You now need to grant appropriate permissions to this user. From the top menu, choose “Policies” then “User Rights…” Put a tick in the “Show Advanced User Rights” (bottom left) and then click once on “Administrators” in the “Grant to:” box. Now under the pull down menu for “Right:” you need to make sure your user has been granted these 6 rights:

“Access this computer from network”
“Act as part of the operating system”
“Back up files and directories”
“Log on as a service”
“Log on as a batch job”
“Restore files and directories”

To grant these rights, find the permission in the drop down box and click once. Once clicked, the users granted this permission will be listed in the box below. Add your user to the list. You will find your new user if you select the “Administrators” group and then click the “Members…” button. Click “Add”, and your new user will now be listed in the “Grant to” box.

Follow this procedure for each of the 6 permissions listed above.

1. The WebIntelligence Manager and WebIntelligence Orb services

You now need to go into “Services”(Start>Settings>Control Panel>Services). You may find it handy to have a shortcut to Services on your desktop. Scroll down to find “WebIntelligence Orb”. Stop this service and then double click on it. (Note - on stopping this service, WebIntelligence Manager will also be stopped. This is ok, since the following operations need to be performed on both the Orb AND the Manager.) Under “Log on as” select “This Account”. Click the “…” button to find your new user, and then enter and confirm your password. Follow the same procedure for “WebIntelligence Manager”. On completion, restart each service. Both services should be configured for "Automatic"start.

1. Servconf and DCOM configuration

Finally, open Servconf. This is found in “Program Files/Business Objects/Server/BusinessObjects Manager 5.0”. (You may find it handy to create a shortcut to Servconf on your desktop). In Servconf, check your new user. Make sure the radio button is set to “This User (recommended setting)” and for user account, press “Browse” to find your new user. Enter the same password used in the WebIntelligence Manager and WebIntelligence Orb services. Click on the “Test User Account” button to check the validity of the account details.

You now need to click the button that says “Run DCOM Config” and choose the “Default Security” tab. Under “Default Access Permissions” section, click “Edit Default…” and add your new user to the list. Make sure your user has “Allow Access”. Do the same for the “Default Launch Permissions” and “Default Configuration Permissions” sections, making sure your user has “Allow Launch” and “Full Control” respectively. Finally select the “Applications” tab from the top of the window. Double click the “businessobjects.server” key. Select the “Security” tab and edit the “Custom Configuration Permissions”. In the same way as before, locate your user and add him/her to the list. Make sure this user has “Full Control”. Apply all changes, and confirm the modifications.

On closing this window, you will be asked to reboot your server for changes to take full effect.

Important Note:
If the NT Administrator logs on and changes his or her username or password, the changes will be stored in the NT User Manager for Domains. But this will also affect the WebI/BCA user account. If the username or password are changed by the Administrator, be sure that the changes are reflected in the WebIntelligence Manager and WebIntelligence Orb. Also make sure that the new usernames and passwords match those in Servconf.[/i]