BusinessObjects Board

Canary Query

Hi,

Is anyone aware if we can use Canary Queries in BO for Monitoring Purpose?

There are some kind of stability issues in the Client Setup and we want to come up with some kind of monitoring Process where the admin is aware of that system is going down before the users are affected.

So we are trying to find out if the usage of Canary Queries can be used for this.

Any help in this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Radhika

rrrr (BOB member since 2009-04-17)

I think the Teradata guys first adopted that expression - basically to try and establish data retrieval benchmarks on their huge data sets.

As to your question sure - but stabliity issues and performance issues should be covered by an effective/complete monitoring process that will involve more than just canary queries.
http://www.tdwi.org/research/display.aspx?ID=6360

I.e. queries can determine generic response times and also test if the communication to the CMS is both active and fast, but you also have the OS, memory, CPU and web/application(s) to consider.

The SAP vendor has a few papers out re monitoring via Tivoli and MOMS that you should get your hands on - also search BOBJ:

MikeD :south_africa: (BOB member since 2002-06-18)

Thanks Mike for the Reply.

We were trying to implement the Monitoring tool that BO is planning to provide, but i understand that this tool is not yet out from the market and it would be released after few months.

So meanwhile we are trying for some other option to implement the monitoring process either by scripting or some other option at Report and Universe level if not at system level.

rrrr (BOB member since 2009-04-17)