BusinessObjects Board

Can I change object-properties for multiple objects @ onnce

Hi,
I hav created a nee Class with about 100 objects by dragging an “imported” mView into the Class/Object Window in my Universe Designer.

I now need to change about 80 of those columns into a “measure”. I do not want to do this one by one. Any chance for markining them all and set them all to “measure” at once?

Why does the Designer not support such an action?! Or am I just to blind to see how this is to be done?

prinzartus :austria: (BOB member since 2006-09-07)

Mostly when you’re creating a measure object you are including some sort of aggregation, e.g. sum() or count(). In this case you would want to change the objects individually as you have to consider how they should aggregate. I can’t think of any way to change multiple object properties at the same time.

Gillian :uk: (BOB member since 2005-08-18)

Correct, in my case I want ALL of them to SUM up as aggregation.

Once again I tend to think BO lacks in usabiltity in some sapect. I would assume this is a common issue, not just mine.

Thinks for this quick reply anyway, I will continue setting the property one by one. :wah: :hb:

prinzartus :austria: (BOB member since 2006-09-07)

You could probably consider coming out with a macro for the same.

nithya_raj (BOB member since 2007-02-03)

I agree. Designer could definitely do with some improvements when it comes to usability. I was surprised to find out that you could change the format of a group of objects, but that’s about as far as it goes.

Apparently Designer gets a major overhaul in the next release. Let’s cross our fingers and hope for the best. :expressionless:

wahey :netherlands: (BOB member since 2007-05-31)

Each of your objects is defined as object_column, and you want it to be a measure that SUM(object_column)? Even if you could change all 80 to measures in one fell swoop, the SELECT portion of each object would not get the SUM() function added any way.

Unless I’m doing something quick-and-dirty for playing, I never drag a table nor object over and get objects automatically created. I create each and every object – giving it a meaningful name for the user, setting its SELECT clause, entering its HELP description, setting its type and projection, etc., manually.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

You might have a look at this utility. It uses the Designer SDK to make mass updates to object names and descriptions. It could (probably) be adapted to work with any property.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)