BusinessObjects Board

Can a universe or new objects be created using API

I would like to know if is possible to modify objects, tables, clases of a universe with the API, if yes wich one would be the most suitable VBA/ASP/PHP??

caiaphas25 (BOB member since 2007-11-16)

Yes, it is possible using the Designer SDK. The Designer SDK can be used by any programming environment that supports COM, but because it requires actually kicking off a session of Designer, I find a client-based VBA solution to work best. Take a look at this utility … Document a universe using Excel and the Designer SDK … and imagine it in reverse. You can find another example that actually makes updates here … Mass update to object names / descriptions.

Now, whether very much of universe maintenance SHOULD be automated, is another discussion :yesnod: .

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

thanks for your reply.

Actually what Im trying to do is automate the creation of objects when ever the user makes some changes on their data.

I have a list of attributes, and each attribute is an aboject in my universe.
When ever the user adds or deletes an attribute they want the universe to be updated.

I though about using the API, any body have any better idea??

I’m not sure what “API” you are hoping to use, but the only way to update a universe is with Designer, whether manually or using the Designer SDK.

Dwayne Hoffpauir :us: (BOB member since 2002-09-19)

I I want to do it with java or jsp which API would be?? and where do I find it?

thanks

Designer is a windows application. The best route is to use VBA, as Dwayne has already suggested.

Dave Rathbun :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-06)