BusinessObjects Board

Can a prompt filter be optional?

Using Webi 6.1 and the Java interface. Sorry no sql skills.

I want to present multiple filter prompts with ‘select from list’. But I want the user to be able to choose which filter to use, and leave others default to ‘all’.

When I create the prompt filters it seems to insist that each of them are used and a value or values selected, and I cannot find a way of selecting “all values” as an option or as a default. It is not appropriate to default to every value selected, as there are too many to de-select.

Am I missing something simple? Grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks.

Richard Pownall (BOB member since 2006-04-19)

Welcome to B :mrgreen: B.

Yes we can have optional prompts where user can enter ALL or some text to say don’t constrain the data and you might have to create conditions on the Universe side and it should work the way you want it to. I would suggest you to do a search using keywords “Optional Prompts” to get a start.

Here is one from the Designer FAQ section post by Cindy
How can I prompt for select one, many, or all values?

Please come back with us if you have more questions and will be glad to help you out.

Sridharan :india: (BOB member since 2002-11-08)

That’s just it - many thanks. Believe me I searched, but I didn’t find that one.

But… my problem is that I have been relying on the Java Interface, and don’t have access to edit the sql as all the solutions seem to require (nor the experience to do it safely). I can understand the code quoted in the faq though.

Do I have to try and get sql edit access or is there some way I can achieve this using the standard Java interface?

This has to be done at the Universe level to use as it is WebI. I would suggest you to check with your Universe Designer to incorporate the functionality into the condition to make it available for general reporting.

Sridharan :india: (BOB member since 2002-11-08)

Very grateful for your help. What a friendly forum!. I’ll be back I’m sure.