BusinessObjects Board

Calculating free space accurately

Hello all,

I’ve found a few tools in the downloads section, all very helpful, that can calculate report size and things like that, but I was wondering is there anyway that we could calculate accurately what the available space on the repository is, without having to retrieve everything we have there?

We have some environments that have about 4 gigs of report templates and they all have about 30-40 instances, so we’re talking about a huge amount of data, and we had to retrieve all of that. it’d not only take a really long time but we might overload the CMS.

So, does anybody know a simple way of finding that out without having to query the CMS for all its data?

I’m surprised there’s no function in the CMC showing you how much you have occupied and how much free space there is.

Many thanks,
Nawar

nnoori :uk: (BOB member since 2009-11-16)

Can’t you see the properties of the filestore folder? Or am I missing something in your question?

Also the filestore size is available in the metrics of the input frs.

dessa :madagascar: (BOB member since 2004-01-29)

How do I get that filestore folder, sorry, is it an option on the CMC (I’m using BO R3 3.1)? When I click on properties for any folder, I don’t get any size stats.

What I can see are the metrics per server (for example I can see the space stats for the Input and Output repository server), but I was wondering if there was a way of looking at what’s available on the CMS as a whole.

If there isn’t then that’s fine, we’d just have to make do with what’s available.

Many thanks,
Nawar

Are you the Business Objects administrator and do you understand how Business Objects is configured?
Your DBA should be concerned about the size of the CMS database, not you. If you are the administrator you should be monitoring the size of the Filestore folder, but if you are the administrator you would know the location of the filestore :?

Adding to dessa’s points, as a best practice you should be engaged with your server admin to ensure that whatever enterprise monitoring technology that is employed within your company is monitoring the available disk space where the FRS resides. It’s just a task of asking if it is turned on, and if not, getting it turned on.

I’ll further add that there are other 3rd party tools on the market that do obtain this metadata and load it relationally to ease the pains of reporting on it, and I’d say do so in a less intrusive manner on the CMS.

Eric Vallo :us: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Well, I’m not a proper administrator, that’s the thing, I’m relatively new to BusinessObjects and we have this sandpit environment that I’ve been given administrator access to in order to familiarise myself better with R3 and its functionality.

I use it mostly for content migration and organisation, but I don’t really administer it in the full sense of the word.

The reason why I’m asking for this is because I was commissioned to find an easy way to monitor the CMS and the space on the servers occupied, I do have administrator access to several CMC’s (primarily because I need to be able to export data from there) but not to the server machines themselves, where the FileStore resides.

My only option seems to be to monitor the Input and Output servers, as I’m supposed to achieve all this at no additional cost (therefore any 3rd party tools, however good and inexpensive are out of the question, otherwise the products on the savethecms.com look pretty good).

My manager wants to be able to monitor the space growth independently of the DBA’s and the people looking after BusinessObjects. We’re a big company and it will be very time saving.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the replies, I’ll consider my options, this seems like a pretty good tool, only you can’t really see how much space you have occupied on your system, unless you pull literally every document there, hence why I’m asking this question.

Kind regards,
Nawar

I’m not going to labour the point, but you need to get yourself on an Admin course to understand how the system is configured and see what the CMS database does and what the filestore does and how they interact with one another.

The size of the filestore is what is most important to you - not the database, and you can see that from the metrics of the filestore servers.

Yep, that’s a good idea, but will probably have to wait a bit as I don’t think my company will pay for it at tihs stage.

I’ve found some interesting stuff on the Query Builder. There are a few values that represent the metrics of each server, which includes the free space and the total space. I’ll get a few guys with good VB skills to help me write a small app that can retrieve these metrics without having to log on everytime anybody needs to check it and if it goes well I’ll probably put it here for use by everybody.

Again thanks for all the replies.

Nawar