BusinessObjects Board

C000005 AGAIN

Just checking to find out if people are experiencing the C0000005 abend problem that was prevalent in version 5.1.2 with version 5.1.6? I’ve started to notice this happening MUCH :reallymad: more than it has since 5.1.2.

Anyone noticing this on 5.1.7? :confused:

Here’s the environment I’m working with:

• Desktop - Dell P4 1.8ghz
  • Memory - 512mb
  • OS - Win 2000 pro (SP3)
  • Repo - Oracle 8.1
  • RDBMS - Oracle 8.1

MikeMcErlain :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-08)

Can you provide error (C0000005) details; such as what you are trying to do? When you are getting this error? On which module? We are on 5.1.6 never experienced this. As per my experience it is more stable version of BO.

murali :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

This is just a random abend on Reporter 5.1.6. Can be doing any number of different activities. No specific activity seems to be at the root of the problem.

We never come across this. Any error description for C000005 ?

murali :new_zealand: (BOB member since 2002-08-16)

Mike, if you do a Search here on BOB, say using keyword Unhandled, you’ll find lots of posts where folks have discussed it.

One of our favorite moderactors, Nick, has a topic where he talks about lots of ways to deal with it. Check this one.

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thanks Anita …

Nothing there stands out as a possible cause but I’ll follow up more later.

So far it’s only been happening on my desktop (and I can deal with it!). I haven’t been getting many errors reported by users so I’m not pursueing it with much zeal!

I was more or less just wondering if this was another 5.1.2 type debacle that was corrected by a later version.

Mike, I think 5.1.2 and 5.1.3 were the worst for this. In 5.1.6 and 5.1.7 it is very rare indeed that I hear from any of my users with this problem - perhaps one problem every couple of months. Good luck…

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Hi all,

One of our users this error when trying to print from BO:

1 processor x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 0
Windows 2000 Workstation v5.0 build 2195 (Service Pack 4)
Physical Total/Avail: 253.424 Kb / 43.084 Kb
Temp directory C:\DOCUME~1\ckapp\LOCALS~1\Temp(34170621 Kb available)
‘Unknown’ video card
1024 x 768 in true color

Unhandled Exception
Code: c0000005
Description: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Call stack:

Module at 0x78000000: C:\WINNT\system32\MSVCRT.dll v 6.1.9844.0 [English (United States)]
address: 0x7801047e
Module at 0x004b0000: C:\Program Files\Business Objects\BusinessObjects 5.0\report50.dll v 5.1.4.33 [English (United States)]
address: 0x00520044

We are on ver 5.1.4, there are no problems when printing from other applications to the default printer. BO also prints to other network printers but not to the default one.

I have tried de-installing BO, the printer and re-intalling but to no avail.
I have tried copying the dll to her machine but it refuses to take them.

I have not tampered with the Registry becuase I do not know which ones to remove.

Anyone with a suggestion on what to do?

Regards

Thabileg (BOB member since 2003-11-04)

I see it maybe once every month on 5.1.6.

Mmm, we don’t have much 5.1.7 but I’ve never seen it on there.

Nick Daniels :uk: (BOB member since 2002-08-15)

Thabileg, just for kicks – try installing a different printer driver. If you’re currently using a PostScript driver, see what happens with a PCL driver instead. See this thread regarding a different problem, where someone suggests that some applications have problems with certain PostScript drivers.

Alternatively, try getting a more up-to-date version of the printer driver?

Anita Craig :us: (BOB member since 2002-06-17)

Thabileg:
Seeing that you are running BO 5.1.4 on Win2k SP4 I would suggest upgrading BO and downgrading Win2k to a supported platform SP2 or SP3 (see BO PAR on BO techsupport site for details of supported platforms by BO version) and see if that helps.

Andreas :de: (BOB member since 2002-06-20)

Mike:

I have been running into the same problem using a Dell Latitude C600 and Business Objects 5.1.4. My memory and database are similar to your. It appears to occur when the Physical Memory is running low. This machine won’t use any of the virtual memory. That might be due to a bad service pack 3 install. (I read this on one of the tech help sites; I should have written down the site name.) I am trying to get permission to roll back the SP and reinstall, but I am still waiting. I am hoping that solves my problem.

Kate

Kate (BOB member since 2003-01-09)

I just downloaded 5.1.8. In the read_me file, there were some listings of fixes involving the Internal Exception error.

Anita wrote:

Thabileg, just for kicks – try installing a different printer driver. If you’re currently using a PostScript driver, see what happens with a PCL driver instead. See this thread regarding a different problem, where someone suggests that some applications have problems with certain PostScript drivers.

Alternatively, try getting a more up-to-date version of the printer driver?

Thanks a million, changing the driver worked like a charm!!! :smiley:

Thabileg (BOB member since 2003-11-04)

I’m on 5.1.6 and used to get the error as much as twice a day. My laptop went in for repair and they had to reinstall Windows (XP). Since then I am experiencing very few unhandleds (there’s a new word for you!), probably even less than Nick says.

Some tech support staff I know suggest reinstalling Windows on a yearly basis. I wonder if they do that to their own machines…

I have not had any problems since Windows was reinstalled. Installing a new Windows Security patch is apparently what caused my initial problem. I don’t know, that I would reinstall Windows every year. My motto generally is: “If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Kate